Natural Birth
Options

Refusing IV

Has anyone had to refuse the iv/heplock? I've seen many posts about comprising and getting the heplock as opposed to the iv, but personally, I don't want to do either one since needles are the biggest hurdle I would like to avoid during labor.

I know the hospitals cannot force you to do any procedure you do not consent to, but I was wondering how many have refused both the iv and the heplock and how badly did you have to fight for that??

BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Refusing IV

• Options
    I had neither during labour (I needed antibiotics post-labour so they placed one a couple hours after the birth). I didn't refuse, it just wasn't necessary so it didn't happen. It probably helped that I showed up at 10 cm - we went straight from assessment to pushing. I stayed well hydrated by drinking water - I think I had about 4 L in the 2 hours I was pushing.
  • Options
    My midwife said they will try to start a port as soon as I get there but not actually start fluids. She said I could tell them no but that it also helps if I walk in clutching a half empty giant bottle of water. They will naturally assume to have been hydrating well and may not push ad hard.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

At my hospital neither IV or heplock are standard. When I arrived at the hospital my MW recommended a heplock for my specific circumstance. They told me why they were suggesting it and that I could refuse. I didn't have a problem with it so I got it.

Since they told me flat out that I could refuse I don't think it would have been a problem to do so. Hopefully you won't have a problem refusing. If so, ask them why it is so important for you to have it. If you are staying hydrated you shouldn't need one unless a problem arises.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I refused both because having an IV style needle always makes me feel like I can't move that whole arm.

I wouldn't call it a fight, but I had to be very insistent that I didn't want it. The biggest pressure was from my labor nurse (the first one was horrible, she was very medically minded) and she kept asking until I just very firmly stated I wouldn't not be getting one unless it was absolutely needed and I swore that I would stay hydrated.

I didn't end up needing one and actually didn't have any needles while I was in the hospital. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    an IV/heplock (actually saline lock these days) is the same thing. no needle is actually left in your arm either way, just the plastic tube. i have no problem having one mainly because i am a really really hard stick and would rather them take their time and place it versus placing it in an emergency. i don't want to be hooked up to iv fluids constantly and plan to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. the hospital can't make you do anything you don't want to so if you feel strongly about refusing, don't let anyone sway your decision. at most they make you sign something that says you have been informed and understand the potential risks of declining. my older sister hates needles and says that was the worst part of her labor (she had an epi)! you can always call the hospital and ask the question. also if you explain to your nurse your reasoning, they are usually a lot more understanding. 
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't see the big deal if you are able to stay hydrated by drinking lots of fluids in early labor (you wont be able to in late labor b/c you'll just throw up) and you don't need your labor to be augmented with pitocin.  The iv is a big pain the ass to have attached to you, you have to take it with you everywhere, even to the bathroom.  I hated it and definitely wouldn't get one next time.  
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:
    I had neither during labour (I needed antibiotics post-labour so they placed one a couple hours after the birth). I didn't refuse, it just wasn't necessary so it didn't happen. It probably helped that I showed up at 10 cm - we went straight from assessment to pushing. I stayed well hydrated by drinking water - I think I had about 4 L in the 2 hours I was pushing.
    really? wow.  Nevermind what I said about drinking then.  I just started heaving after every sip/bite I took so it wasn't worth it
  • Options

imagex0stephanie:
    imagetokenhoser:
    really? wow.  Nevermind what I said about drinking then.  I just started heaving after every sip/bite I took so it wasn't worth it

I wasn't nauseous at any point of my labour. I ate a Blizzard at 8 pm just as labour got hard. I was so thirsty during pushing, so I drank between every contraction.

It is really different woman to woman.

I had also thought beforehand that I was fine with a saline lock, but they didn't care about doing one. I think because I arrived so far along.

• Options
    Eating a Blizzard - this made me LOL...I will have to write that down for when it's time for me to hit the hospital!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"