High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

p17 shots

Has anyone had experience with these? Did they help prevent ptl? When did you end up delivering (versus prior ptl)? I'm leaving for vacation for 10 days in a few weeks.....can you be a little more than 7 days between shots? I'm nervous so any help is appreciated!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: p17 shots

• Options
    This is my first pregnancy on them so I am hoping that I will eventually be a success story. My MFM told me that the shots must be given within 5-7 days of each other, no more or no less. I get mine every 7 days but I was told about the "window" just in case I am unable to get them on the exact day that I normally do.
  • Options
    I've had them since 16 weeks....my nurse said you have a 2 day grace period as far as receiving them...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was told there is a 2 day window on either side.  But, if you are concerned, could you get one dose to administer yourself while on vacation?  GL and have fun!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

I was told there is a 2 day grace period too so technically you could do it at day 9, but I wouldn't stretch it to 10.

Just bring supplies and a dose with you on vacation so you can keep on your 7 day schedule.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had them this pregnancy in addition to a cerclage, after my son was born prematurely at 21 weeks.

Since I'm full term and the cerclage is out and I didn't have any sort of contraction until a couple of weeks ago, I'd say they worked well for me.

I haven't delivered yet (37w1d) and am not showing signs of imminent delivery, though I will say that since the cerclage was removed I've experienced a lot more contractions.  My last shot was Friday and it's been calmer since then, but even so, I expect it to start picking up again by the end of the week.

You'll have to discuss with your timeline with your doctor.  My peri and OB were very strict about the 7 day thing.  They also said it would be possible to teach my husband to give me the shot, but ultimately, we went through home health care.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Options
    I am getting the Makena shots right now. I am 22.5 weeks pregnant with my second. With my first pregnancy I had PTL and cervical shortening. I was on strict bed rest and delivered my son at 36 weeks. I am on semi bed rest right now because of contractions that started around 16 weeks and I will receive my 3rd Makena shot on Thursday. I get them every 7 days. I'm still having some contractions, but I don't feel as bad as I did. Hope they work out for you!
  • Options
    I just finished the shots. I had my daughter at almost 24 weeks due to (we think) PTL, so this time I had the shots from 16 weeks to 36. Over Christmas, my husband and I went out of town for 11 days. My dr gave me a few days grace period from the strict 7 days. While there, I had a relative who's a nurse and she gave it to me. If having your husband give it to you isn't an option, ask your dr for suggestions.

And yes, I do believe the shots prevented ptl this time. Although it was unexplained and unexpected last time, I had no contractions (and only 1 BH) the whole time I was on the shots. Now, at 38 1/2 weeks, I'm having more of them (though not a ton).

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"