High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

cerclage removal question

I've never posted here before but I had a cerclage placed at 15 weeks due to a shortened cervix from a previous LEEP and a cyst that was discovered on my cervix during an ultrasound.  I'm now 30 weeks, and have been trying to research what to expect when the cerclage is removed.  My doctor will remove it at 37 weeks, and she has assured me that it is not a big deal, and will be uncomfortable, but not painful. 

Well, several weeks ago, I was in L&D for some cramping issues, and while I was there the nurse checked my cervix and cerclage, and it was horribly painful.  This is making me very nervous about having it removed.  I've discussed my concerns with my doctor, and she has reassured me that it won't be that bad and can expect some spotting afterwards.  I'm still nervous about it because I have a pretty high pain tolerance, and was stunned with how badly it hurt when the nurse checked me in the hospital a few weeks ago. 

I just wanted to hear about anyone's actual experience with this.  If it's going to be really bad I need to prepare myself for it, and if not, I'd like to quit worrying about it.  Thank you all for your help!

BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: cerclage removal question

• Options

I think the unfortunate answer is...it varies. There are about a hundred women who posted their cerclage removal stories over at https://ic.hobh.org/forums and some said it was horribly painful, others said it was no big deal, and for some it was somewhere between. Depends on the type of stitch, how much scar tissue there is, how deeply embedded it is, etc.

My wife has a type of cerclage called a TVCIC. The doctor who placed it recommended she gets an epidural for the removal because it is much higher than the other types and removal can be more difficult. However, for most normal types of cerclage (McDonald and Shirodkar stitches), the removals are usually done by the doctor either in the office or in L&D without anesthesia.

Father of a Delayed Interval Delivery/Rescue TVCIC Cerclage miracle, Milo Thomas
  • Options

I haven't had mine removed yet but I just talked to my OB about this today...we are going to do it in L&D and I'll have an IV placed just in case I need IV narcotics.  I have a McDonald stitch with a flat ribbon but my peri was able to get it pretty darn high up.  During internal exams it hurts so so bad too so I'm a little nervous about the removal.  My OB said they can do a spinal if need be but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. 

I'd just push to have it removed in L&D instead of the office just in case you need something stronger to get through it. 

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had my preventive cerclage removed for DS1 about 2 years ago and it really want not a big deal. I don't know the exact type I had, but the OB described it as a purse string. He lifted it, cut it, and pulled it out (I think with tweezers). It took all of 2 minutes. I was pretty anxious about it hurting, so I tensed more than I needed to, but it honestly felt like a regular internal annual GYN exam.

Having my membranes stripped the next week hurt more... but all of that was nothing compared to having my water broken (by hand) during labor (long story- but not my OB). Your cervix is in for a rough couple of weeks!

I should be getting this cerclage removed next week. I'm not anxious about it hurting, although I may take a Tylenol just in case.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

It simply varies.  Some women describe it as intensely painful (and if there is scar tissue adhering to it, then it will hurt more than if there isn't), and other say it was no big deal.

My own experience (removed a week ago) is summarized by the following:

That sucked, it hurt more than I expected (because of the enormous weighted speculum - the stitch itself was nothing), but it also took less than 5 minutes from prep to completely done.  So it wasn't something I'd sign up to do over and over and over for fun or anything, but considering the total amount of painful time was about 2 minutes long, it was fine.  I was told that I might bleed up to a light period, but the spotting had completely stopped before I even left the hospital.

If you want more details, there is a thread further down where I go through my experience in detail.  Really, it's not something I'd worry overly much about.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"