VBAC

Will low lying placenta = VBAC complications?

Hello!  I am due with DD (my first girl!) in August.  I had a c-section with my DS 3 yrs ago because of multiple of reasons - cord around his neck, failure to progress (didnt get past 6 cm) meconium in water and his heart rate dropped with pitocin multiple times.  I am really hopeful for a vbac this time around and the practice that I am at now seems to be pretty open about it.  At my ultrasound, they told me I have a low lying placenta.  From what I hear, it usually corrects itself on its own and I have had no issues myself.  I have had no bleeding and I am not on any restrictions so I am pretty lucky.  My question is, even if this corrects itself could this still be an issue where the Dr's might be hesitant to try for a vbac?  My OB was not very concerned right now, but she did explain that if it didnt clear itself up than it would be another c-section.  But even if it does clear up, could there still be complications? Anyone have this happen to them before, I would love to hear from you!  Thanks ladies!

Re: Will low lying placenta = VBAC complications?

• If you're due in August, then there is plenty of time for your placenta to migrate upwards as your uterus grows.  If it clears up, then there should be no issues with the placenta causing you complications during a VBAC.

FWIW, I had a very low lying placenta with DS.  It cleared up around 27-28 weeks or so.  The only only complication my midwife talked with me about regarding the placenta location involved if it was attached near/on my c-section scar.  But she said she would only worry about that if: 1)  I was having another c/s due to risk for hemorrage, etc; or 2)  my placenta did not migrate upwards and away from my primary c/s scar due to risk for placenta accreta, partial previa etc.  

HTH. 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• I'm kind of surprised they'll let you vbac with the failure to progress on your last one. With my practice, that's an automatic repeat c/s.

I have an anterior placenta, but we just checked and it's midbelly, not near my scar. So i'm good to go.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLuvmy2sons:

I'm kind of surprised they'll let you vbac with the failure to progress on your last one. With my practice, that's an automatic repeat c/s.

Honestly... this comment makes it sound like the OB practice you're using is not very VBAC-supportive.  Just curious, but what other "situations" require an automatic c/s?  What are their "rules" for their VBAC patients? 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• I also have a low-lying placenta (or at least I did at 12 weeks...we'll see for my 20 week U/S next Monday).

If it clears up, you have nothing to worry about. If your placenta is anterior, then they'll be more concerned and check for more if your placenta ends up over your scar, but odds are the placenta will be high by the time you give birth. 

Now if only I could tell *MYSELF* that! ;)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"