High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

BP at home - irregular heartbeat?

I take my BP at home once a day due to pregnancy induced hypertension (which actually seems to be more like White Coat Syndrome because the readings are normal at the hospital and home, but high in my OB's office).

I have an Omron Blood Pressure Monitor.  It has a feature where it can detect an irregular heartbeat.  I hadn't been paying much attention to the symbols, admittedly, but today I decided to look in the manual because a reading had displayed an irregular heartbeat.  The BP reading was normal at 131/79.

I looked back through the stored previous readings from the last three weeks and it has given me the symbol maybe 3 or 4 times (but there are times when I take multiple readings in one sitting--I've been told to wait and take a second or third reading if I get a high one).  It happened most recently on Saturday.

I don't know if it's just the machine or if I was anxious while taking the reading or what.  Out of 3 readings today it happened once.

Anyone have any info or experience with this?

Re: BP at home - irregular heartbeat?

• Options
    My BP machine isn't fancy enough to detect irregular heartbeat...have you asked your doctor about it?
    -Donna Married 11/19/09 Pregnancy #1: Son born March 22, 2011 after 3+ long months on bed rest due to PIH Pregnancy #2: Early miscarriage Pregnancy #3: Are we crazy for 2 under 2? Due 11/9/2012, diagnosed as Chronic HBP for this pregnancy along with gestational diabetes BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

No.  She is out of the office this week.  It came up during the second of 3 readings today.  I figured that since the other two readings were fine, and since I felt fine, that calling the hospital about it would probably be unnecessary.

They have been watching me and baby pretty closely--I go for bi-weekly BPP's and weekly NST's/blood pressure checks.  And I'm also dealing with anxiety so I am thinking it might have something to do with that. 

I think that if it comes up again in readings tomorrow that I will give the hospital a call to see if they want me to come and get checked out.  I mean, I know that if it was happening all the time, and if I was having physical symptoms like being dizzy or lightheaded that it would be something to get checked out right away, but it seems to be completely occasional/random.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a BP machine that detects it too, and almost EVERY time I check mine it gives me the irregular heartbeat reading. I had an EKG done and it said that I have PAC's- premature arterial contractions. Nothing to worry about, the doctor said. It happens when one atrium starts to beat before its supposed to or something like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"