Parenting after 35
Options

Vacay WWYD

Okay, we have discussed going to Walt Disney World for the first time (for the kids -- DH and I have been as kids ourselves) and decided that the earliest we would go is when DS is 5.  Planning now because things get booked up fast and trying to plan out certain vacations for a while as we have upcoming reunion obligatiosn.  Here's my problem:  everyone is jumping on our WDW bandwagon.  I don't particularly mind -- could be fun.  But here's where I'm stuck.

Initially I talked about going with my sister.  This was before she got a teaching gig at a local community college.  Now, due to her school schedule, we're either going in the summer or Christmas.  Both have peak crowds then so the lines would be terrible.  Also, I know my sister could only afford value resorts if any Disney property and we might go with something else like moderate or the lower-end deluxe so we wouldn't even be staying at the same property.  We get along but my word, they can't get organized to save their lives.

MIL is now talking about all of that family going in October to the Food and Wine Festival.  Have to say, this is a more attractive option.  I get along great with my ILs.  The festival should be fun, the rates are lower and crowds among the lowest in the year.  Plus there is the Halloween decorations which the kids would adore.  Again though, having to plan with the group in mind for some stuff (I'd tell them to stick it on some days though).

I have zero desire to be locked into when my sister wants to go given higher crowds and potentially greater expense if the holidays.  And I feel bad ditching her though after we initially talked about it.  But with a 7YO and 5YO (at the youngest) in tow, shorter lines are going to be key.  (FYI, she will have the same problem as her youngest 2 are the same ages as my kids.)  We can't afford to go twice the same year or even two years in a row.  WWYD?  Just tell my sister that nope, we don't want to go during high crowds and really sorry but have to plan something else?  Or just stick with the original plan?  Tell ILs forget it and WDW is on our own?  TIA!

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: Vacay WWYD

• Options
    Maybe I'm a brat... but given that this is a BIG family vacation for your immediate family, I would go when it best suited our family.  I'm 100% with you on avoiding the lines.... I think you can tactfully explain that due to work schedules, long lines, that you'll be staying at different resorts, etc. you feel this time it would be best for you to go in Oct.  The festival sounds FUN!  Maybe you can tell your sister that you'd love to go with her when the kids are older and the lines won't be such an issue?  Or plan a smaller family get together with her family this summer or Christmas when you don't have to plan around WDW?  Hopefully she'll be reasonable and understand.  GL! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Foir a trip like this - I would go when I want to go and not stress about family.  I would not plan a trip ti Disney for winter break or over the summer (my DH and younger DD do not do well in the heat at all so summer in FL is out for any reason).  I am going with my kids, DH and my parents in October and can't wait.  I would explain your reasons to your sister, tell you are going to go in October, tell her if she can swing it, she should come with you.  With any family - plan to stay where you want and just make plans to meet for certain timeframes, meals, etc during your trip so that it removes the we must do it all together the whole trip stuff.  Easier said than done depending on your family but this is not a cheap trip so plan it how you want.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditch your sis, that's my opinion. I'd totally stay at a nicer place during a cheaper time of year and the F&W Fest would be an awesome bonus!
  • Options

No way I'd take a 5 year old to Disney during the busiest times of the year.  Period.

And you don't have to stay at the resort hotels.. there are plenty of other options.

(Fyi.. .for full disclosure, I hate anything to do with Disney, so it wouldn't be a difficult decision for me! )

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My entire family (parents, sisters, their husbands, 2 nephews, niece) along with DH, DD and I went 3 years ago this June.  We went at that time because my nephew was in school and my sister is a teacher.  Never again!  My one sister (not with kids at the time) and I agree that we will not go during the summer even if it means my sister can't go (if she won't pull the kids out of school).  The lines were really bad but the heat was way worse than that.  We are not used to humidity at all and it was very humid.  I have stayed at a value resort, moderate and deluxe hotel.  Would not go back to value but could do a moderate if needed.  Loved the deluxe hotel.  DH, DD and I just went in January and it was great.  The weather was comfortable and the lines were non-existent.  The characters spent a good amount of time with DD and we weren't fighting large groups of people to get from the hotel to the parks.  Go when you want!
  • Options

The other option aside, I'd ditch your sister anyhow.  This is a trip YOU are planning.  You don't have to change around when you go because of your sisters strict schedule.  I'd jsut tell her that while the idea sounds great, you're just not willing to go during peak times. 

And if they can't get organized... even less reason to go w/ them. I just spent a short weekend w/ my IL's.  Two people who can't get organized either.  Along w/ our 3 year old, we had to manage them the entire time too.  NOT FUN.  And we were simply staying in a condo at the beach. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Agree with PP's. Just go when it's convenient to you guys.
  • Options
    If I were you, I'd go when it worked for your schedule.  My sister planned a trip to WDW with her 4 kids ~ 6yrs ago and asked my mom and I both to go.  I wasn't married or had any children but let her pick the dates and the place to stay.  It's nice that you're thinking of your sister but it was a pricey trip for my sister.  If I were spending that much money, I would do it when I thought I'd have the best trip and what worked for my family.  GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"