April 2011 Moms
Options

Struggling with Baby's First Birthday

I haven't posted in awhile, but I am really having some weird sad feelings about baby boy turning one soon.  Anytime I think about it I get very upset (often).  It's been the last week or so.  I feel like I did the best I could to "make the most" of his first year, but it went SO FAST and I'm never going to get this time back with him.  I've been working on his baby book, and I can't look through photos of him as a tiny wee one without getting sad.  I feel like if the first year goes this fast, he's going to be in college and out of my reach before I know it.  I do love watching him grow, but he's so independent already and hates snuggles . . . I feel like I have a little boy instead of a baby all of a sudden.  Ugh.  Just typing this is making me cry.

Does anyone else feel like this? How are you handling these feelings, if you're having them?

How has it been a year!?! 

Pregnancy Ticker 
DS - 2 years old

Re: Struggling with Baby's First Birthday

• Options

I have some similar feelings. I wouldn't say that I'm feeling very upset. I'm more nostalgic about her first year, I guess. I wish I had been more relaxed those first 4 months or so, so I could have tried to enjoy the newborn phase for what it is, knowing I'd come out the other end alive and not too much worse for the wear.

I've also been going through pics for a scrap book, and I'm trying to focus on how proud I am of how much my big girl has grown and how much she is learning every day. (Thanks to Jteneback whose little Hannah already had her first birthday-- she mentioned this perspective to me, and I've attached myself to it.)

I definitely feel a little sadness that my baby isn't a baby any more, but I just love seeing every new phase so much that I'm trying to focus on that instead. I guess I'm just trying to be present in each moment with her.

BUT I definitely understand where you are coming from, and I have felt some of the same things.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I'm definitely feeling some sadness as Dean's first bday approaches. I keep trying to remember what he was like when he was teeny tiny and even though the year flew by, that time seems so long ago. I guess this is all part of being a mother.
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have some of the same feeling... But I just remind myself that there is so much good stuff ahead.   I try not to think about what was and try to enjoy was is now. 

Hugs Mama!

~Married- 10.20.2007~ TTC Since- 4.3.2009 ~BFP#1- 8.25.2009 ~ Missed M/C and D&C-10.9.2009 ~BFP#2-8.12.2010 ~ EDD- 4.20.2011~ It
  • Options

I've been watching LO's newborn videos for the past few months.. 

Fortunately I'm thankful that just as LO is growing out of her infant stage, we'll hopefully get a new one to enjoy this fall!

Hopefully this isn't a trend ;) 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am so glad you posted this.  I have the same feelings.  I get so sad and weepy all the time these days as his birthday is getting closer.  We are not having any more kids (he was a miracle/surprise baby), so as each phase passes I know it's the only time I will experience it.  Some of the responses have been helpful.  I guess it would be even more heartbreaking if I miss something now because I am so busy thinking about and mourning the time gone by.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKimberly92405:

I am so glad you posted this.  I have the same feelings.  I get so sad and weepy all the time these days as his birthday is getting closer.  We are not having any more kids (he was a miracle/surprise baby), so as each phase passes I know it's the only time I will experience it.  Some of the responses have been helpful.  I guess it would be even more heartbreaking if I miss something now because I am so busy thinking about and mourning the time gone by.  

Hugs.  We are planning on having another, but not for several years.  My mother in law told me that my feelings are "baby fever."  I don't think so.  If anything, it's the opposite.  I don't want another baby yet, I want THIS baby to stay a baby for a little bit longer.  Your last sentence is so true - I am trying to focus on being happy and celebrating with the precious boy I have in front of me, instead of looking backwards at the newborn I had a year ago.

Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"