Special Needs
Options

Having a rough time...

My 6 yo was recently dx with PDD- NOS. We have been dealing with therapies, evaluations, and IEPS for a while (exited last spring) , but I feel like I'm right back at the beginning of our journey with him not knowing how to best help him. He is taking Metedate for ADHD, but we are seeing some side effects that I am not comfortable with (nail biting to the extreme, tantrums) . I'm considering taking him off of it and trying something new, but then I worry about him falling behind again academically. I am also concerned that the medication is masking some of his problems in school causing him to be ineligible for IEP services. We have not met regarding the new dx; it is far from a slam dunk for services. I want so much to get him some support. I am tired of hearing all of the negative comments from his teachers...

I'm just lost and fear for his future. This probably doesn't make much sense.  

Re: Having a rough time...

• Options

ummm, no, it makes complete sense!

I am so sorry, it's really, really rough.  I've been there- I am there.

I don't know what the answers are- and you know what, I don't think any of us (moms and Dr.s alike) do.  It's all a guessing game and a trial and "see how it works out" kinda thing.

Metedate was the second one we tried- for a day- and that was enough for me to say NO WAY.  Not only did it have zero effect at school, he cried for three hours that night...cried himself to sleep.  For no particular reason.  My child who is blissfully happy and care-free.  Has never been a sad guy in his life.  It was horrible. 

Re: the academic thing.  My DS is a total space cadet at school.  If he isn't actively engaged in something, he's in la-la land. But, I know my kid and I know that he's smart and call it what you want, but I know he will find his way- the place that he belongs and the space that needs him there.  I am letting the academic pressure we get from school, just go.  I am totally over it. I am so sick of never having a nice conference.  I am taking it all with a serious grain of salt.  

Feel better- we are all in this together! 

• Options
    imagetorrey111:

I don't know what the answers are- and you know what, I don't think any of us (moms and Dr.s alike) do.  It's all a guessing game and a trial and "see how it works out" kinda thing.

Metedate was the second one we tried- for a day- and that was enough for me to say NO WAY.  Not only did it have zero effect at school, he cried for three hours that night...cried himself to sleep.  For no particular reason.  My child who is blissfully happy and care-free.  Has never been a sad guy in his life.  It was horrible. 

Re: the academic thing.  My DS is a total space cadet at school.  If he isn't actively engaged in something, he's in la-la land. But, I know my kid and I know that he's smart and call it what you want, but I know he will find his way- the place that he belongs and the space that needs him there.  I am letting the academic pressure we get from school, just go.  I am totally over it. I am so sick of never having a nice conference.  I am taking it all with a serious grain of salt.  

Thanks. I am just so tired of fighting. I just want the teachers to accept for child for who he is. I am tired of just one negative comment after another. I feel I have done all I can...

His poor fingers are raw. The dr. said to take him off for now, so they will just have to be patient. This just sucks!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hugs to you! My son is a chewer....and has made himself bleed. We have not been on Metadate..but have been on others that seemed to exacerbate his chewing. While I am not having any problems regarding school (they are actually the best thing we have going at this point) I do feel stranded on an island regarding his medical care.

Hang in there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Just wanted to offer a Hug.  We all have our ups and downs.  And I totally know what you mean about all the negativity - it gets to you - especially when there is so much positive to be happy about. 

Breathe in, breathe out, one step in front of the other....

• Options
    imagetorrey111:

IMy child who is blissfully happy and care-free.  Has never been a sad guy in his life.  It was horrible. 

This is how DS was in KG w/o medication.  I asked the teacher to just back off with the academic pressure.  It wasn't worth it and I knew he could (and did) catch up.  It is frustrating how you feel like you get one step ahead and then two steps behind again.  Unfortunately, I think we will be forever twiddling with his meds to find the right dose for right now. I'm sorry his teachers aren't more helpful, I do like to/need to hear when what we're doing isn't working in school anymore.  they need to know when something isn't working at home anymore too and it's not like anyone wants to prolong a rough patch.  Hang in there!

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

Hi! Matt was diagnosed with pdd-nos when he was 5.  He was able to continue with the IEP into K and now 1st grade due to this medical diagnosis.  Without it, services were being pulled due to K screenings.  Guidelines for IEP services with med. diagnosis must vary state to state.

Hang in there.  Honestly my DH and I didn't even sweat the academic stuff last year and this year because we wanted him to feel safe and comfortable in school.  transitions were his biggest problem and we knew he would struggle academically with the social speech issues he had.   Is he behind grade level in reading-yes.  Is he making progress-yes.  Is he really successful at some things-  yes.  (not a strong reader but gets a 100 on every spelling test).  I'll take that for now.  I am figuring it out slowly (well trying). And I am still really worried because I hear so much about the studies that show if a kid is not where they should be by second or third grade in their reading, they never recover fully   The best thing for Matt has been his immersion in all of it and the expectation that he perform as expected in a first grade class.  

ETA-and I need to give credit to a wonderful school psych and speech path staff at his school ( part his IEP services) that work with him weekly on social speech and social situations. 

I have no exp. with the medication (yet) so I am of no help there. 

Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"