August 2012 Moms
Options

All I want is a hoagie!

Ok August Moms,

I am sure some of you are already moms, new moms, or soon to be moms. What is your take on this? I don't eat terrible, I dont get crazy cravings or anything like that. All i want is a ham and cheese coldcut hoagie from WAWA! AHHHH!! I have researched it, and it goes about 50/50 on the yes/no answers online. I know that coldcuts have a chance of Listeria. I read you can eat lunch meat heated up. I refuse to buy a coldcut hoagie and heat it up (the idea of that makes me sick to think about). I dont want to cause harm to myself or baby....but all i really want to eat is a 6 inch ham and cheese hoagie!

Do i just avoid all together or do I give in to my craving? What is your take?

IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: All I want is a hoagie!

• Options
    I would say once in a while- like once a month risk it but no more. What is killin me is the no soft serve ice cream/yogurt!
  • Options
    I would eat it. I just stay away from meat that sits around and from salami and other highly processed meats because those have a higher incidence of listeria. I eat ham and turkey as long as they are fresh.

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I asked my doctor because I just wanted a sandwich too. I was thinking it wouldn't be a big deal since most people say its not so bad and listeria is sooo uncommon. He said ABSOLUTELY NOT unless I would heat the meat up to steaming BEFORE putting it on the sandwich so it wasn't in contact with the bread or cheese cold.

I'm not willing to risk it because god forbid something happen I would never stop blaming myself. 

I woke my husband up and midnight and cried to him over a Sierra Turkey Sandwich from Panera. The closest Panera to us is over an hour away. I was ready to drive there and wait for them to open. 

• Options
    My dr said I could have prepackaged meat like oscar myer but not deli cut. I had one turkey sandwich and the craving went away.  
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    My OB said deli meat is totally 100% fine. He said that the meats are processed and stored a lot differently than they used to be and to not worry. Just no mayo...

Married 6/28/08, TTC 7/10, BFP 11/30/11! Charlotte Rose born on 8/4/12! TFAS 8/13, BFP 10/14/13! Lori Anne Catherine born on 6/13/14!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Have it! I ate an italian from the deli at least once a week when pregnant with DD and DS. 

And you can have soft serve too. 

Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have given in twice in the past week eating a chef salad and both times it was amazing because I was craving it!!! I had thought about taking the meat off and heating it but I figured I would be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageemandjp:
    My OB said deli meat is totally 100% fine. He said that the meats are processed and stored a lot differently than they used to be and to not worry. Just no mayo...

no mayo??? 

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I had an Italian hoagie last week. My OB has no problem with it.  Ditto with mayo, soft serve, etc.. 
    photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm eating a ham and cheese sandwich as we speak! Yes, for breakfast! For one, you have to consider that it is leap day, which is an imaginary day, so nothing you do really counts anyways. Also, realize that as long as the meat isn't contaminated with Listeria, you are absolutely fine eating it. Listeria contamination is really really rare, but only you can decide if that's a risk you are okay with taking. I think of it like air travel. It's really really unlikely that you are going to crash, which is why I choose to go ahead and travel by plane, but there is always that risk and all it takes is one time.

The incidence of listeriosis in pregnant women is 12 in 100,000 (.012%). I found that at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2621056/ To me, that is a really really low risk. But you can decide for yourself how bad you want that hoagie!

[<b>edited by:</b> jociejones at 8:19 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Feb 29 2012]
    Just wanted to add that the odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime is about the same as getting listeriosis when you are pregnant. (Odds of lightning strike=1 in 10,000 vs. odds of getting listeria when you are pregnant=1.2 on 10,000) https://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/medical.htm

• Options
    My doctor said nothing from the deli counter but subway, mcalisters and jimmy johns were fine. I wish there weren't so many discrepancies between what we are all hearing. I too have been craving subs or sandwiches from just about anywhere : )
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I want a WAWA hoagie too, but more so I want a Primo hoagie, they are the BEST  I live in NJ sooooo hoagies are pretty much a staple and my husband keeps eating them at work and I am so jealous!  I told him after I deliver all I want is a Primo Turkey Diablo and a giant Dr. Pepper and a beer! 

I haven't ventured into the lunch meat/deli world because it's too difficult to figure out what is good and bad so I just avoid it all together.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It seems like sub sandwiches are all I have been craving this pregnancy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!!! and i agree with rels09. wait until after you give birth just to be on the safe side, because if something DOES happen, i think its better off to deal with a craving than a guilty conscience. Good luck.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers BabyName Ticker image
  • Options
    imagesourapplemartini:

Have it! I ate an italian from the deli at least once a week when pregnant with DD and DS. 

And you can have soft serve too. 

This is what my dr told me...just everything in moderation.

Renee Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageliz_bluefreak:
    Congrats!!! and i agree with rels09. wait until after you give birth just to be on the safe side, because if something DOES happen, i think its better off to deal with a craving than a guilty conscience. Good luck.

LOL, I wasn't the one that said that, but that's ok. 

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"