July 2012 Moms
Options

2nd trimester bloodwork came back increased chance of DS

Any similar experiences? My first trimester blood work combined with ultrasound gave me a 1:50000 Down Syndrome risk. Second trimester blood work was 1:460. Doctor said that was still a passing level but suggested more testing. I opted for MaterniT21 blood test, the results take 10 to 14 days. I am so scared and it is torture waiting for the results. 

Re: 2nd trimester bloodwork came back increased chance of DS

• Options
    Thank you for your kind words!
  • Options
    This does seem like a slim risk, a lot can be found for DS from a level II ultrasound without having to go through bloodwork. This is part of the reason why a/s are done between 18-22 weeks. There are physical markers for DS that are easily seen to a trained perinatologist and skilled ultrasound techs eye. Sometimes the blood work is more misleading and insurance doesn't always cover it. I would ask for a level II ultrasound instead of having the bloodwork done. In the case of the ultrasound results are recieved instantly no need to wait weeks... GL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi. I don't know how old you are, but I am 36 and my odds were something like 1:500. The doctor said that was fine for my age - And other tests I've had say my baby is fine. So yours odds aren't so bad, especially when women older than me have lots o' normal kids.  ; )
    Loving life's blessings!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hugs for you. I can't imagine having to wait for the results for that long.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  Of course, there is always someone that becomes the 1 in 460 or even the 1 in 5000, but your chances are very good that your baby is healthy.  After my bloodwork I was given a 1:300 chance of T21, but due to losing a daughter to T21 last year we were automatically at a 1:100 chance.  Our doctor said we could do CVS if we wanted to, but didn't think it was necessary since there were no indications on our ultrasounds.  Even at 1:100 and our past history I was feeling pretty confident in our 99% chance that our baby wouldn't have T21. 

I don't know if you've had an anatomy scan yet, but with our daughter they could see at 12 weeks that she didn't have a nasal bone and noticed a couple weeks later that she only had two bones in her pinky (her nuchal measurement was also 6.8).  She also had severe heart defects and fetal hydrops, which is why she didn't survive.

I know how hard it is to wait for results like this, but try to remember you still have a 459:460 chance that your baby does not have T21.

Good luck and I hope the wait time goes by quickly for you!

It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm sorry you have to wait so long for results, that really stinks.  When is 2nd trimester bloodwork taken?  Have you had an a/s yet?  I'm just curious because I haven't heard anything from my OB about having more bloodwork, but I guess they might mention this at my next appt maybe?

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 | DD born July 2012
    BFP #2 | EDD 04.18.14 | D&C 10.01.13 @ 11w3d
    BFP #3 | EDD 09.15.14
  • Options

imageboobi007:
    Any similar experiences? My first trimester blood work combined with ultrasound gave me a 1:50000 Down Syndrome risk. Second trimester blood work was 1:460. Doctor said that was still a passing level but suggested more testing. I opted for MaterniT21 blood test, the results take 10 to 14 days. I am so scared and it is torture waiting for the results. 

I had the exact same thing happen. I was 1/4400 after the first trimester results, and 1/357 after the second trimester bloodwork. My inhibin-A was off the charts in those results (in the 99.9th percentile of results) which is what changes my odds so significantly. The doctor was not overly concerned and said the baby was probably fine (and I am of advanced maternal age), but that he recommended the MaterniT21 test to be sure.

I am expecting my results from that sometime this week. I know how anxiety-inducing it is, and I feel for you.

My high inhibin-A levels also mean I am high-risk for pre-eclampsia, premature delivery, and intrauterine growth restriction, so I am now being monitored super closely.

It is really rough to feel physically okay, but feel so anxious all the time that something could wrong. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"