D.C. Area Babies

Frustrated. Again. Vent.

Went in today for my 39w appointment (39w2d) and I basically received the same "diagnosis" as I got with my DS (who I had by c/s at this point) - floating and not anywhere engaged in my pelvis.  I am still 0cm, but have increased from 50% - 60% effaced.  My OB said "your cervix is very thin but it's completely closed off."  But again, her biggest concern is the baby's position.  Why do my kids not engage? I have been doing EVERYTHING and I mean everything to go into labor and to get this kid to drop.... I've had 2 chiropractor appointments (including the Webster technique), I've been drinking Raspberry leaf tea like it's my job, taking EPO every day, tried sex once (I guess I could be doing that more, but that's no walk in the park), walk at least 3-5 miles every day, do exercises from Spinning Babies like rebozo, eating pineapple and pineapple core, and I have an acupuncture appointment this afternoon.  I'm grateful that my LO is not breech, but the situation does not bode well for a VBAC.  I feel like I am out of options.  My OB offered to come in the weekend after next to do a c/s if need be.  That was very nice of her to come in on a day off (she did this last time for DS as he was born on a holiday) but I'm so discouraged.  My doula, who is DH's cousin, is frustrated as well. It's not a good sign when your doula is frustrated ;) 

Thanks for letting me vent here.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Frustrated. Again. Vent.

• I'm really sorry. I know a VBAC was really important to you. I'm sure it doesn't help, but just try to focus on the fact that regardless of how the baby gets here, all that really matters is that he/she is healthy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • that's so frustrating! But you are still a week away from your EDD and many babies go past their due dates. My friend's 1st was born on his due date and her 2nd was 11 days late! You are doing absolutely everything you can, don't beat yourself up!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry, that is so frustrating. Does the doctor think there could a be a physical reason they can't drop? Large heads or maybe you don't have enough space in your pelvis? 

There's still time, hopefully LO will figure out where the exit is and start making her way down there.  

Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • She didn't find any medical reason. I thought my DS's head was average (14.4) but the more I'm reading, the less I'm finding that's the case (it seems that his was on the large side). She said that she doesn't think my pelvis is too small or narrow (even though I'm clearly a small-boned person, with a ring size of 3.5).  I'm trying to go with the positive thinking approach as I don't really know any other way, but it's hard to not get down about all this.  I'm not going to surrender until the evening of the 9th (a c/s is now on the books for that Saturday). 
  • I'm sorry - that just sucks. I wish I had more words of encouragement than 'hang in there - it ain't over till the fat lady sings" but it really isn't over yet. I know it's hard not to get discouraged but all hope is not lost. If, however, you get to Saturday and the C-section takes place, just take comfort in the fact that you'll meet your LO soon - that sleepy newborn face, those eyes that lock in on you and only you, that will all soften the blow. 

Hang in there, mama! You've still got till Saturday!!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • I am sorry about your frustration! I am right behind you and my LO is nowhere near engaged also. Last time, my DD was induced at 41 weeks (due to GD) and came vaginally after 14 hours. I will be thinking of you. :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageslukd79:
    I am sorry about your frustration! I am right behind you and my LO is nowhere near engaged also. Last time, my DD was induced at 41 weeks (due to GD) and came vaginally after 14 hours. I will be thinking of you. :)

Did your DD engage before your induction? How big was your DD at birth? 

• That's funny, because I just heard that subsequent babies don't always engage until you're in labor. I'm just behind you and my midwives aren't concerned that DS2 isn't engaged, just that he's in the right position to engage when the time comes. Hang in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • This may be a dumb question, but can you be induced?

When I was pregnant, I remember reading that early effacement is a better indication of labor than dilation, so hopefully that's a good sign for you. It sounds like you still have a little over a week. A lot can happen in that time.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageUseonfire:

imageslukd79:
    I am sorry about your frustration! I am right behind you and my LO is nowhere near engaged also. Last time, my DD was induced at 41 weeks (due to GD) and came vaginally after 14 hours. I will be thinking of you. :)

Did your DD engage before your induction? How big was your DD at birth? 

She was not engaged several hours (5 or 6?) after I had started pitocin (the previous night I had cervidil inserted.) When they broke my water for me, they noticed some meconium so she was probably on her way anyway? Not sure.

Anyway she was 8 lbs., 8 oz, which is exactly what I was and what my H was at birth. I really doubted my GD diagnosis, but followed the diet strictly and her blood sugars were fine at birth.

GL! I really hope things work out for you. I have no idea what will happen in my situation-- but I don't think I will have an early baby... :(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think OBs don't induce for VBACs

• If my cervix was "favorable" meaning at least open somewhat, my doctor might induce me a little with pitocin or break my water.  But if it stays this way, nothing can be done.

I definitely still have some time, and I had a great hypnotherapy session with Lindsey this morning (she is fantastic!) so I'm feeling rejuvenated and more confident.  Really trying not to get hung up on statistics or what my OB thinks.  She doesn't know my body as well as I do ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"