C-sections
Options

How soon after surgery were you doing stairs ?

I live in a 3rd floor walkup and my bedroom is up a spiral staircase within the condo. Spo basically I came up here once since I got back from hosp and went up to the bedroom...and here we've stayed for 3 days now. I'm 7 days post op. Starting to go a little crazy being stuck in this one room all day. When were you doing stairs a few times a day ? What did your doc say to do? What could happen if you do stairs too soon?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How soon after surgery were you doing stairs ?

• Options
    I am a week out from my c-section and I am doing stairs now, no problem. I was doing it by day 3. I got discharged early (DD was in the NICU so I wanted to leave early)- and while I didn't climb it often, I did it twice during that 3rd day. Are you still in a lot of pain? Today I climbed the stairs (we have a two story) probably four or five times.
  • Options
    I came home at 3 days post op and did stairs that day. We live in a townhouse that has 4 levels so I had to. I found getting in and out of bed much more uncomfortable than going up stairs.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS was in the NICU which was on the other side of the hospital and down a set of about 12 stairs- I did them multiple times a day starting 2 days after my surgery with no issues. Was going up and down as needed at home on day 6.
    M/C #1 BFP 5/26/08, missed m/c discovered 9w1d (blighted ovum) M/C #2 BFP 11/19/08, missed m/c discovered at 12w1d (triploidy) BFP!! 3/27 Due date 12/5/09 Benjamin Tate is here! Born 12-1-09, 9lbs 5oz, 22" via C-Section M/C #3: d/x ectopic, methotrexate given 2/11 BFP!! 7/12, due 3-21-12
  • Options
    I would say a week. I just listened to my body.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I was doing stairs the day I got home by the hospital. I didn't carry anything up down until 2 wks pp but I still did them several times a day.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was doing them the day I was discharged.  I wasn't going to not tuck my son into bed or sleep in my own bed.  My doctor didn't give me instructions to avoid them at all.
  • Options
    I live in a 3rd floor walk up so I have no choice but to do stairs the day I come home.  I dont remember having any restrictions for stairs with my other 2 I am just going to take it easy.

Court
    DH 40  ME 40
    GD, Myasthenia Gravis, Factor V Leiden

DS #1 born via emergancy c-section 01/23/06 at 37w

DS#2 born via c-section 10/27/2007 at 36w due to PROM

DS #3 born via repeat c-section 04/13/2012 at 39w

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away." - George Carlin
  • Options
    Mine was probably a week or so, but I had some special circumstances. I was told to take it easy for at least 2 weeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I started stairs at about 10 days pp.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Since my bedroom was upstairs and the kitchen was downstairs, I was doing stairs at least 2-3 times per day within a couple of days of getting home.  I just took it slowly and carefully and made sure it felt okay to do that.
  • Options
    I did stairs my first day home at 4 days PP.  I just tried to limit it to a couple times a day.  My OB didn't really say I was limited, just to take it easy and not overdo it.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

imagejb2rn:
    I came home at 3 days post op and did stairs that day. We live in a townhouse that has 4 levels so I had to. I found getting in and out of bed much more uncomfortable than going up stairs.

I agree.  I was slow getting up and down the stairs, but it was so much easier than getting out of bed or sitting down/standing up.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    The day I came home from the hospital (3 days), I was going up and down my stairs.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

imagejb2rn:

This!  Only I came home 4 1/2 days post op.  But I did stairs multiple times a day because honestly I didn't remember them telling me not to do them, only after I went for a PP checkup they asked if I did stairs yet.  It didn't have any effect on my recovery, I didn't feel pain going up and down.  Getting out of my bed was a PITA that I did move to the guest room since the bed was lower than our master.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • Options
    I did stairs when I got home, so four days PP. It sucked but it was manageable. Listen to your body and take it easy. I'd go stir-crazy being stuck in one room for that long. Also try going up and down like a toddler - left foot on the first stair, right foot on the same stair. Left foot on the second stair, right foot - and so on.
  • Options
    I did them on the day we came home from the hospital, 5 days after my c-section.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    I was home 4 days post op and was doing stairs right away. We live in a two story so I did not have a choice. I just took them slow and made sure to listen to my body.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"