Elliot Hospital experiences — The Bump
New Hampshire Babies

Elliot Hospital experiences

Has anyone here delivered at Elliot?  I am trying to get a feel for the environment there.  Were they open to "alternative" birth plans (no epi, no pitocin, walking around, no episiotomy, whatever might be different).  We are going on the tour in a few months but wanted any opinions I could find!   
imageimage

TTC #1 since 5/10
BFP #1 7/22/11 - EDD 4/2/11 - M/C 8/15/11 (7w0d)
BFP #2 9/23/11 - EDD 6/5/12 ♥It's a Girl♥
BFP #3 2/20/13 - EDD 11/2/13 ♥It's a Girl♥

Re: Elliot Hospital experiences

• I'm delivering there very soon! They are very friendly to alternative plans. They even do water births if that's something you want. :-) 

• Loading the player...
  • I delivered there last April.  They are pretty neutral as to medication, etc.  I wanted to try natural birth, and they were cool with that (I ended up with an epi, but that's a long story and nothing to do with the hospital).  They have tubs in rooms for laboring and there are some rooms with tubs for water births (must be planned ahead of time).  They have birthing balls if you want, encourage you to walk, and so forth.  I believe the episiotimy route depends on your doctor, but my doctor prefers to let you tear (I ended up with a tear equivalent to an episiotimy).  

The nurses were amazing and very supportive.  The only things I wish had been different were that they asked me all the questions about my wishes when I got there (and at that point, I was throwing up, had the shakes, and was having contractions 2 minutes apart) instead of collecting that info ahead of time when you pre-register then just updating it; and my son ended up in the nursery a few hours both nights for various issues, and they didn't bring him back right when they said they would.  That made me really anxious, but I know I could have always called to see what was up.  I just didn't want to be that crazy first time mom...

BFP #1 8/14/10, DS born 4/30/11 
    BFP #2 9/30/12, M/C 10/23/12 
    BFP #3 12/16/12, CP 12/20/12 
    BFP #4 1/20/13, DD born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both!  I feel much better now about delivering at Elliot!
    imageimage

TTC #1 since 5/10
    BFP #1 7/22/11 - EDD 4/2/11 - M/C 8/15/11 (7w0d)
    BFP #2 9/23/11 - EDD 6/5/12 ♥It's a Girl♥
    BFP #3 2/20/13 - EDD 11/2/13 ♥It's a Girl♥
  • I delivered there in December. The nurse was great working with me through the contractions. I had to be hooked up to monitors because I was induced, but they let me walk around, and if I wanted other laboring positions/options, she was okay with it (as long as it didn't hinder the monitoring, not their fault with that though). The nurses I met were amazing and I only had one during my stay that I wasn't loving, but even she wasn't too bad. Overall, I loved my experience there, and I was leary since my first was delivered at a Birth Center with midwives.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards