Single Parents
Options

DS visiting Daddy in jail....

So STBXH changed his mind about not wanting to see our son and had his mother email me. She wants me to bring R to see his father tomorrow night.

The thing that makes me nervous is he hasn't seen his father or his "grandma" (I quote that word since she's been absolutely nothing to him since he's been born) in over 4 months. She has to bring him in obviously since I have an OFP against my ex and the jail wouldn't allow us to see each other even if I wanted to.

They get a 30 minute visit and DS has to sit on XMIL's lap while staring at daddy through thick glass and "talk" through a phone.

Has anyone had any sort of experience with their child seeing their father in jail? I'm worried about how he is going to handle it and react to his dad since he hasn't seen him in so long and he really doesn't like "grandma" too much. At the same time I'm glad it's happening because I don't want ex to get out of jail and immediately begin visits with our son where I won't be there and DS hasn't seen him at all for months. I'm just not sure how to handle R through all of this and what his reaction is going to be. He is overly attached to me and all I can picture is my screaming baby being pulled from my arms by my psycho XMIL to see his prison bird father. Ugh. R has never been attached to his dad so I don't see huge smiles and giggles coming from this experience.

P.S. The court system is run by morons for court ordering me to bring my baby to see his father. He should NOT be allowed visits in jail. Period. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: DS visiting Daddy in jail....

• Options
    If you are court ordered to take LO to see his Dad in court you have no choice. It sucks, yes. But there isnt a way around it.   It sucks you can't take him yourself so you can calm him when he gets upset but thats an order you put in place. The best thing you can do is take LO and have your EX's mother meet you at the jail so you will be right outside if anything goes wrong.     The good thing is your son is young and probably wont sit still long enough for a 30 minute visit.   How come you didn't appeal the CO visitation?                                       
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageJCGreene85:
    If you are court ordered to take LO to see his Dad in court you have no choice. It sucks, yes. But there isnt a way around it.   It sucks you can't take him yourself so you can calm him when he gets upset but thats an order you put in place. The best thing you can do is take LO and have your EX's mother meet you at the jail so you will be right outside if anything goes wrong.     The good thing is your son is young and probably wont sit still long enough for a 30 minute visit.   How come you didn't appeal the CO visitation?                                       

The reason I didn't appeal it is because I was ordered to bring him once a month AFTER ex was transferred to the workhouse facility. Since he only has to spend one month in that facility I figured it would be too much of a pain in the behind to fight it in court since it would only be one visit. If ex goes back after he is released for any reason (violation, new charges, etc.) then it wipes out that part of the order and I won't be required to bring him to the new place where ever that may be as the order only states for this particular time in that county, no others. Also, it took 3 court appearances just to achieve my OFP and didn't care to go back to argue something so petty.

As for meeting XMIL at the jail.....that's what I was planning to do. I'd never let XMIL pick up my son and leave with him as I don't trust her in the least. I'll be downstairs in the waiting room as soon as they finish. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"