LGBT Parenting

Illness in the 2ww

I managed to make it almost all the way through winter without getting sick once...and then not 10 hours after my IUI on Friday, I started coming down with a cold.  I woke up pretty miserable on Saturday and have just been getting worse since then.

My RE's nurse told me not to take/do anything I wouldn't take while pregnant, and to call her if I had questions about taking any meds -- but of course this happens on a 3-day weekend and I don't feel right calling them on a weekend to ask if I can take cold medicine (I will definitely call in the morning if things aren't better).  She specifically OK'd Tylenol in case I had cramps after the procedure, so I know that's fine and I have been taking that throughout the weekend -- it seems to help a little bit with the pressure in my ears and sinuses and my sore throat, but of course doesn't really do anything for my congestion.  I thought a neti pot might help but the instructions say not to use it if your nose is completely blocked or your ears are blocked, which is the case.  Right now my best sources of relief seem to be hot showers and hot tea, although since I'm watching caffeine intake and there's some question about the safety of some herbal teas, that's kind of frustrating too.  Of course I'm drinking tons of water and resting (though unfortunately not able to sleep well).  I'm trying to be extra careful because of a) the potential bean, b) my body's tendency to turn colds into sinus/respiratory/ear infections and c) a busy work week coming up.  Does anyone have any advice for treating a cold in the 2ww (or pregnancy, since I am supposed to be treating it the same)?  Anything your doctor or RE suggested?

My BBT was also super high this morning -- yesterday it was 97.05 and this morning I woke up at 1:15 (obviously not my normal wake-up/temping time but I'd had at least 3 hours of sleep) and it was 98.34; fell asleep again and woke up at 5:00 and it was 98.75.  My highest BBT recorded in 11 months of charting is 98.2.  I was supposed to have ovulated recently (surge indicated by b/w on Thursday, took trigger that night) so I was expecting a temp rise but this is sort of dramatic.  Not sure if it has to do with the trigger, or illness, or sleep pattern, or what?  I was worried I had a fever but took it again several times after I got up this morning and it never went above the high 99s.  Has anyone seen a huge temp rise after a trigger?

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Illness in the 2ww

• I had a really bad cold/cough during my TWW when I got pregnant with Lex. In addition to what you are trying--I would add in a humidifier and try sleeping at an incline (like in a recliner) to help with flow. Also this is totally cheesy, but try watching a tear-jerker movie or reading a tear-jerker book--anything to get you to an ugly cry stage--that should get the mucous flowing and then let you use the neti pot.

I know nothing about temping--but I have my fingers crossed for you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hope you get better soon. I am enduring my first 2ww and I don't know how I would be doing this and battling a cold. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelnelson20:

I had a really bad cold/cough during my TWW when I got pregnant with Lex. In addition to what you are trying--I would add in a humidifier and try sleeping at an incline (like in a recliner) to help with flow. Also this is totally cheesy, but try watching a tear-jerker movie or reading a tear-jerker book--anything to get you to an ugly cry stage--that should get the mucous flowing and then let you use the neti pot.

I know nothing about temping--but I have my fingers crossed for you! 

Thanks ln!  I had never thought of the tear-jerker trick...just finished watching Rachel Getting Married, which was heart-breaking but didn't quite do the trick.  I really should get a humidifier.  Today hot water with honey and lemon seems to be helping.  And as soon as I finish lunch, it's back to bed for me.

Alysia -- the 2wws get easier as you have more tries under your belt.  Not that you WANT more tries under your belt, but at any rate you kind of get used to the waiting game.  Not that you ever enjoy it...I'd love to fast forward 11 days!  Thanks for your good wishes.

9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• I'm so sorry you're still feeling so sick!!

The temp rise is honestly probably just wonkyness due to illness and weird sleeping patterns.  As long as you're not over 100.5ish it shouldn't have any impact on your ttc stuff, from what I've been told.  It's probably a little early to consider it a good sign, but if it stays up....maybe!

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Getting sick during your 2WW might be good luck (I hope it is).  Sometimes a slowed immune system, helps the body accept the little bean better too (or so people told me when I got sick and subsequently pregnant in October). ;-)

I would avoid the tylenol too - I've taken some during pregnancy - but only really rarely (but I'm totally anti-medicine so take what I say with a grain of salt if you're not).  I always defer to my midwife and OB anyway.

Peppermint tea, ginger, chamomile, ricola cough drops. Pineapple (supposedly good the first few days after Ovulation to soften the uterine wall, it's a muscle tenderizer - plus yummy). Lots of rest. And what PP said.

I wish you lots of luck and baby dust.  And hope you feel better soon. FYI - I saw temps like I'd never seen before when sick and then pregnant. They just kept slowly climbing (with a few dips). 

• imageJazibel:

Getting sick during your 2WW might be good luck (I hope it is).  Sometimes a slowed immune system, helps the body accept the little bean better too (or so people told me when I got sick and subsequently pregnant in October). ;-)

I would avoid the tylenol too - I've taken some during pregnancy - but only really rarely (but I'm totally anti-medicine so take what I say with a grain of salt if you're not).  I always defer to my midwife and OB anyway.

Peppermint tea, ginger, chamomile, ricola cough drops. Pineapple (supposedly good the first few days after Ovulation to soften the uterine wall, it's a muscle tenderizer - plus yummy). Lots of rest. And what PP said.

I wish you lots of luck and baby dust.  And hope you feel better soon. FYI - I saw temps like I'd never seen before when sick and then pregnant. They just kept slowly climbing (with a few dips). 

Way to get my hopes up, Jazibel!! I hope it's good luck.  Though if my temps were to keep climbing, I'd have a fever by the end of the week! :)  I'll admit that since I've come to dread the pre-AF temp drop, I do love to see them high...even when it's freaky high.

I'm somewhat anti-meds but since my RE's nurse specifically OK'd Tylenol, I feel fine about taking it.  I'm taking well under the daily dose, though, only when I really feel like I need it.  Since I am only a few days DPO at this point and not sharing a blood supply with any little bean that might be hanging out in there, I am more concerned about any drug having an adverse affect on fertilization/implantation than anything else.  I figure the RE's office makes babies stick for a living, so I trust them.

I went out Saturday and bought pineapple and pure peppermint tea so we are on the same wavelength there!  Also generally lots of fruits, veggies, and water.

Thanks for the good wishes on the cold and the 2ww!

9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Well I have all fingers and toes (and will encourage mini-bean to cross fingers and toes too - if possible ;-)  And hopefully we'll be hearing good news soon. Either way I hope you feel better-  being sick is the worst.  :P
  • Thanks -- I felt SO much better when I woke up today.  Not perfect, but a huge improvement.  I'm so glad I had 3 days off so that I could really rest and take care of myself.  It seems to have paid off!
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• How are you feeling today? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"