April 2012 Moms
Options

stupid question, regarding baby measuring big and diet

OK, this is kind of a stupid question... I know... so don't make fun of me!  At my last two doctor's appointments and my ultrasound last week, baby was measuring two weeks-ish big (3 lbs 11 oz at 29 weeks).  The ultrasound tech said she was in the 78th percentile.  The ultrasound doc said "well, this isn't going to be a small baby."  My doc hasn't said anything yet because I haven't been in since the ultrasound.  My question is...  is there something I should be doing differently as far as MY food consumption so that she's not getting ridiculously large?  I know I've been eating horribly lately and entirely too much sugar.  GD test is negative though.  Does WHAT I eat affect her growth or just my calories or neither really? 

I should also add, I've gained about 17 lbs myself so far... last month being a huge gain month for me with 9 lbs, but only 2 this month.

Re: stupid question, regarding baby measuring big and diet

• Options
    I'm not totally sure but if you know you've been eating badly maybe just try eating healthier. I mean I don't know if it affects the baby's growth that dramatically but it sounds like it wouldn't hurt. I've totally changed my diet and it wasn't hard to do at all. I'm very stringent about correct serving sizes, limit my sugar intake to only 2 or 3 sugary things a day, and eat a lot more vegetables than I used to (at least 3) with my dinner. Even if it doesn't do anything about the baby's growth at least you have the peace of mind knowing that you did the best you could for the LO growing inside you! GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My cousin was in the same situation 3 x with all 3 of her pregnancies. Her GTT came out fine but her babies were huge in each pregnancy. Her doctor told her not to diet but to try modifying her diet with less carbohydrates in the last month. It is something you may want to bring up to your doctor at your next appointment. My cousin ended up eating brown rice instead of pasta or white rice, whole wheat bread instead of white bread and it was limited. She ate a protien at every meal with a little carb. Bring it up, see what (s)he says.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know, I ate horribly last pregnancy and have been doing much better/keeping a log this time and still measure ahead. All the babies in my family were over 9 lbs so I just kind of assume they're going to be on the bigger side. DD was 8 lb 2 oz.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Maybe you could reverse-engineer my "grow big twins" diet. I did my research and as a result am eating a very high protein diet to try and get my babies as big as possible. So maybe eat less protein? But really, if your docs aren't concerned, I'd say just try to stick to a balanced diet.

Untitled

Etta Jane and Claire Elaine are here! Born March 28, 2012.

my blog

What it's like to cloth diaper twins, Part I.

Cloth diapering twins, Part II.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Do not eat less protein unless you are far exceeding 80gms per day. Protein is critical to brain development. Cut out refined/white sugars and switch to whole grain based carbs. Processed foods and dairy/meat with growth hormones are not your friend.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Some babies are just big and it has nothing to do with you. I do not have GD and did not last time. Last PG I ate very reasonably, gained almost 45 lbs (and I'm 4'11"!!) and DS was 9lb 2oz. I was back at my pre-pg weight within 8 weeks pp. This time I'm eating the same and have only gained 15 lbs. The ob is concerned that DD is even BIGGER! we have a growth u/s on Tues so we shall see! Fundal height was 8 weeks ahead last appt.....
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"