Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Spanking a 6 month old....(Her response on page 2)

Someone on Facebook just posted about how kids are really disrespectful these days. I was totally tracking with her post until this part: 

" My little Alyssa is 6 months old and she got a spanking the other day, yup at 6 months old! I told her 2 times not to touch something, while I pulled her hand away, because it was gonna fall and hurt her. She did it a third time and it fell inches from her head. I spanked her hard enough to let her know I'm serious, but not hard enough to hurt her. She hasn't touched it since and has had many chances to. I'm not saying to spank your kid for everything but hold them accountable when they do something wrong! AHHHH I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW!!!"

Six months old and spanking? That's seems crazy to me.... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Spanking a 6 month old....(Her response on page 2)

• Options
    Indifferent Totally judging right now.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

It is absolutely crazy.  Poor little baby.  They have no way to understand that the two are related (the touching of the "thing" and the spanking)  And she's just doing what babies do - explore!  That's how they learn.  This makes me very very sad.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well I'm glad to know I'm not crazy for thinking that spanking a 6 month old is absolutely ridiculous! Zoe is 11 months and I couldn't imagine spanking her for something.
  • Options
    A girl on my friends list had a status about her 8 month old not wanting to sleep, so she "whipped his @ss".
  • Options

imageCGKyle:
    A girl on my friends list had a status about her 8 month old not wanting to sleep, so she "whipped his @ss".

Indifferent Poor baby

Photobucket
  • Options
    I have no words.
    ~Married- 10.20.2007~ TTC Since- 4.3.2009 ~BFP#1- 8.25.2009 ~ Missed M/C and D&C-10.9.2009 ~BFP#2-8.12.2010 ~ EDD- 4.20.2011~ It
  • Options
    ::backs out of thread slowly::
    IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    ummm that is child abuse and if you know this person on facebook, you should report it. i hope someone smacks her ass in the jail cell she deserves. 
  • Options
    I would not be able to bite my tongue on that. I would say something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagedaniella2727:
    ummm that is child abuse and if you know this person on facebook, you should report it. i hope someone smacks her ass in the jail cell she deserves. 

I don't think spanking counts as child abuse.  I don't agree with it, but it's not a reportable offense. . .

• Options

imagejustAphase:
    That is disgusting. Poor baby

THIS! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Horrible! Poor baby.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Options

My FIL told us to start spanking A right around the time that he became mobile (5 - 6 months?) because he needed to learn to respect us when we told him "no".

...yeah

• Options
    Maybe she should take dangerous/fragile things out of her 6 month olds reach BEFORE she goes after it instead of slapping an innocent baby around and then posting it on Facebook like she wants the mother of the year award. 
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagejustAphase:

this. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What the hell is wrong with her? Poor poor baby.
  • Options
    A friend of mine spanks her kid. She started around 6 months as well. At 8 months she started taking her diaper off to do it. I don't even know what to say when she tells me, I just change the subject. It's so sad.
  • Options

imagejustAphase:

This. I would never in a million years do that. I was spanked as a child, but sure as hell not as a 6 month old!!

• Options
    First of all there's TONS of research that shows that spanking has nothing but a long term negative impact on a child. Second of all a 6 month old doesn't have a clue what cause and effect is so basically this person is just an abusive bit*ch.
  • Options
    imageMarSamWhitney:

imagejustAphase:

This. I would never in a million years do that. I was spanked as a child, but sure as hell not as a 6 month old!!

This - that's awful. I don't know what age it's really appropriate - but 6 months is WAY before you can reason with them!  I couldn't imagine doing this to my DD now or even within the next year or so! then again, I personally don't think I could ever really do it to her.

Foodie stuff for parents with little time: Katja's Kitchen Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Wow! That is wrong on so many levels. Poor baby.
  • Options
    I'm dying to know what kinds of responses these "ladies" got on their FB statuses.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options

imageNeverEnoughTime:
    A friend of mine spanks her kid. She started around 6 months as well. At 8 months she started taking her diaper off to do it. I don't even know what to say when she tells me, I just change the subject. It's so sad.

Yikes! I would totally say something. This seems beyond ridiculous to me. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    So far everyone has been saying "You go girl!" to her. I just commented and said that I totally agreed that kids should be respectful but that a 6 month old's brain isn't developed enough to know cause and effect yet. She'll probably hate me and this will probably start a bunch of drama but oh well. 
  • Options

That's so wrong in so many ways. I don't understand how any mature, educated adult could think that a 6-month-old is developed enough to understand cause an effect that way? The poor thing.

DD was cranky this evening right before bed and she grabbed at my face roughly and scratched my nose. I grabbed her hand gently, made her meet my eyes, and said "no" sternly - didn't yell, just used a louder-than-normal-serious-voice - and she still started crying her eyes out. She knows what no means and she's very sensitive to it. I don't even want to think of what I'd be doing to her emotionally if I spanked her after saying no. :(

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Broken Heart That poor baby.
  • Options

imageNeverEnoughTime:

Umm I don't think I could be friends with someone like that!

• Options
    imagemesmom2011:

imagedaniella2727:

I don't think spanking counts as child abuse.  I don't agree with it, but it's not a reportable offense. . .

I disagree with this when a baby isn't able to know what's going on, put together cause and effect or even speak. Hitting an infant=child abuse
  • Options
    We will occasionally tap Noah's hand, mostly to get his attention, but I can't imagine spanking at this age, especially for something that's only dangerous to him because I've carelessly left it within his reach.

• Options
    This, If this is what she put out in public who knows what she's not admitting to. Getting "SO ANGRY" at an infant? I just hope things don't get worse. 
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    image*BlackSheep*:

imageNeverEnoughTime:

Me either. I don't have enough restraint. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageNeverEnoughTime:

I'm just lurking from 6-9, but this makes me extremely sad. Poor baby. 

• Options
    imagebucklebunny1:
    imagemesmom2011:

imagedaniella2727:

I disagree with this when a baby isn't able to know what's going on, put together cause and effect or even speak. Hitting an infant=child abuse

This.

• Options
    image*BlackSheep*:

imageNeverEnoughTime:

I couldn't either. That is not OK in my book.  Poor baby... 

image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I always say that it's too bad you don't need to pass some test or be licensed to become a parent... this woman wouldn't have a child. I'm glad you said something.
  • Options
    Poor baby :( First of all if there's something that could fall on her head then she should have removed it...and if the first time she didn't listen (not that a 6 month old would anyway!) she should have picker her up and entertained her with something else!  What an IDIOT.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

imageimage

• Options

What was this "something" is what I'm wondering. The "something" fell inches from her head, that sounds scary.

This idiot should have not had this "something" within reach of LO and once she realized it was in reach of LO, she should have moved it. It sounds like it was dangerous and yet the mother kept letting LO go for it. That baby has no concept of the "something" being dangerous and will still not understand after a spanking, anyone with half a brain should know that.

The correct way to handle this would have been to move the thing and re-direct the baby. My goodness. And I can't believe people were basically saying "you go girl" to her, I wonder if they actually read the whole post.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageNeverEnoughTime:

Sorry, but I can't imagine my "friend" telling me this kind of bullshiit and not calling them out on it. That is beyond disgusting!!! I would feel ashamed of myself.

• Options

This is the update/response to me telling her that her daughters brain wasn't developed enough to know what in the heck she was doing: 

That may be true, but she hasn't touched it since. She looks at it, but doesn't touch it. It's a sconce on the wall next to her changing table, so she sees it everytime she gets her diaper changed. I was raised to not touch things that weren't mine. I'm going to do the same with my child(ren). I don't believe you should have to change everything around in your house. Baby-proofing yes, of course! But not taking things off the walls, I'd rather teach them not to touch what isn't theirs. And like I said I told her no in her face 2 times before and pulled her hand away, I didn't spank her right away. Every parent is different and what works for me might not work everytime or for anybody else. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna try to teach my daughter from day 1. 

• Options
    imagenykimac:

This is the update/response to me telling her that her daughters brain wasn't developed enough to know what in the heck she was doing: 

That may be true, but she hasn't touched it since. She looks at it, but doesn't touch it. It's a sconce on the wall next to her changing table, so she sees it everytime she gets her diaper changed. I was raised to not touch things that weren't mine. I'm going to do the same with my child(ren). I don't believe you should have to change everything around in your house. Baby-proofing yes, of course! But not taking things off the walls, I'd rather teach them not to touch what isn't theirs. And like I said I told her no in her face 2 times before and pulled her hand away, I didn't spank her right away. Every parent is different and what works for me might not work everytime or for anybody else. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna try to teach my daughter from day 1. 

I'm even more pissed after reading her response. She's a freakin' idiot and needs her own @ss whooped! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"