March 2012 Moms

Bug bites or Prurigo gestationis?

Does anyone have any experience with prurigo gestationis or prurigo of pregnancy? 

I thought I got a few mosquito or bug bites on my feet/cankles/legs yesterday. They looked just like mosquito bites and itched like them too. I thought it was odd though because I had been wearing compression stockings and didn't think a bug could get through them to bite. Then tonight, a few more of these "bites" are showing up, but on my arms this time. I looked up PUPPP because I knew it was a type of pregnancy rash and found a condition called prurigo gestationis. The description seems to fit what I'm experiencing but I can't eliminate the idea of bug bites (I live in FL and it's not cold enough for them to hide) but I also haven't found any bugs on me or around me. 

Another harmless but potentially annoying pregnancy rash is called prurigo of pregnancy, or prurigo gestationis, which appears as many tiny bumps that look like bug bites, usually on the hands, feet, arms and legs, although they can develop anywhere on the body. Prurigo of pregnancy can occur any time during your pregnancy, but it is more common during the second half and affects about 1 in 300 pregnant women. Although there is no cure for the condition, the itching can be relieved with topical cortisone or antihistamines and the rash usually resolves soon after delivery. 

Re: Bug bites or Prurigo gestationis?

• Ugh, that sounds annoying!  I'm sorry!  I can barely handle one mosquito bite when I get them, so this sounds thoroughly irritating...  My OB okay'd Benadryl for me, so I would load up on that for the itch and hopefully you get some relief soon!
    Married: 10.28.2004 BFP 1: 2006, m/c 5 weeks BFP 2: 2008, m/c 10 weeks BFP 3: 2009, m/c 6 weeks BFP 4: July 15, 2011 Welcome Parker! Feb. 19, 2012 image
  • I'm not at all familiar with this but over the past week I've noticed bumps that look kinda like bug bites on my belly and now on my back. I'm in Chicago so there aren't any bugs out at this point. It seems to get worse if I put any lotion on the area. I was thinking maybe I developed an allergy to the Palmers Cocoa Butter I've been using only on my belly because I haven't really noticed them anywhere else but I tried a different lotion and still got itchy and the bumps got worse, so I'm really not sure. I'm just keeping an eye on it and avoiding lotion on my belly right now. Hoping I don't get a ton of stretch marks now in the next few weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You read my mind.  I was going to post about PUPPP today.  I've had these tiny itchy bumps on my chest (and some on my breasts) for a couple of weeks now.  I'm the worst at not scratching things that itch, so I scratched them and then they turn into nasty angry looking lesions (seeeexy).  I've finally stopped doing that once I read up on them and found out what they were.  They don't really itch that much anymore, but they are unattractive.
  • Sounds like what I have.  I called when it appeared and showed it to my doctor at my last visit.  Annoying but they don't seem concerned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAttyMomma28:
    Sounds like what I have.  I called when it appeared and showed it to my doctor at my last visit.  Annoying but they don't seem concerned.

I'm glad to hear this and will bring it up with my doctor at the next visit. Thanks for all the replies! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"