Long Island Babies

VBAC at LIJ?

Hi all,

Newly pregnant with 2nd (due early October 2012).  Had DS at LIJ in May 2010 by emergency c/s (primarily due to preeclampsia & fetal distress).  In recovery room OBGYN told me that based on that c/s and incision (low transverse), I would be a good candidate for VBAC in subsequent pregnancies.  Now that I'm pregnant again, I'm curious to hear from anyone who has had a successful VBAC at LIJ and what her experience was like.  Clearly my OBGYN is open to them (I'll see her next week for 1st prenatal visit and discuss further with her), but I'm not sure about the culture in LIJ's L&D unit.

Thanks!

Re: VBAC at LIJ?

• Wish I could help.  I had my second baby at LIJ, but it was a second c-section.  They did encourage me to have a VBAC though - certainly didn't get any vibes that they were against it.  I was just scared to try. 

Is there any way you could deliver at Winthrop in Mineola?  I have had three babies - pretty much did the rounds at all of the hospitals - North Shore (Manhassett), LIJ, and Winthrop.  By far Winthrop was the best experience.  No comparison.  Great environment - great nurses.  Just wanted to mention it in case you had a choice of hospitals.  Congratulations and Best of luck

• Thanks for your feedback.  It's at least positive to hear they encouraged you to try and left the decision up to you!

As far as Winthrop goes, I've heard good things from others about their birth experiences there, however they have lousy statistics on VBACs -- according to NYS Dept of Health website, Winthrop performed 1 VBAC in 2009 compared to 671 repeat c-sections.  In the same year LIJ had 63 VBACs to 790 RCSs.  Accordingly, I know it's possible to try for VBAC at LIJ, I just wonder why there is still such a disparity in numbers -- are more women choosing repeat cesarean as a preference?  Are fewer women good candidates for VBAC?  Just thinking out loud here...I don't know the answers.

Provided that my OBGYN is still on-board with trying for a VBAC, I do want to stick with her and with LIJ.  My OB was great during my first pregnancy and delivery.  As for LIJ, they just opened the new women's hospital on site -- the environment is supposed to be 100% nicer than the old, out-of-date maternity ward!

• Loading the player...
  • Hello! I don't have any VBAC info, but I was wondering if your doctor delivers at North Shore as well? It seems like you had a great experience with her and I'm looking for a new OBGYN who delivers at North Shore. Can you give me her info? Thanks so much!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor's name is Heather Appelbaum and she is a part of the Ann & Jules Gottlieb Women's Comprehensive Health Center on Northern Blvd in Manhasset.  My understanding is that her medical group is directly affiliated with LIJ and therefore they deliver there exclusively.  That being said, if you're open to LIJ, Dr. Appelbaum is an excellent physician and surgeon, and her office is a great practice.  Moreover, as of a couple of weeks ago LIJ opened up its new Katz Women's Hospital, similar to the women's hospital that opened at North Shore last year -- so the days of three or four women to a room in a dingy old maternity wing are over!  For me, I like the added comfort of Cohen Children's (formerly Schneider's) being on site at LIJ (and easily accessible from maternity), too.  When my son was born he needed to be in NICU for a few days, and the facility and staff there were nothing short of incredible.

If you are planning to stick with North Shore, you might check out this directory which includes links to medical groups affiliated there: https://www.northshorelij.com/wh/wh-locations-and-directions

• Thank you, thank you! Excellent info! I really appreciate it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"