Parenting
Options

I think I need to go back to work

At first, I loved being a SAHM. But boy am I bored lately. It was great when dd was home all day, now that she is in school half days, and going to be full days soon, I need to do something with myself. Too bad the job market is so freaking bad right now.

Re: I think I need to go back to work

• Options
    Find somewhere to volunteer!  Or join a gym (if you aren't already).
  • Options

That's sheer joy right there! 

How about making the gym your job?  Well, for at least 1 hour a day.

Clean house for one hour a day.

Make dinner for one hour a day.

There - I just got rid of 3+ hours for you.  BAM!  Just like that!  :)

Maybe find something part time.  Maybe even retail (to get the discount on clothing or what not).  Working 4 hours a day 5 days a week at $10/hr gives you $200 a week in income.  Or $800/month.  Even minus taxes, that's still $600 or so.  Which would be great to make a car payment, put towards a mortgage to pay it down, use for fun money/vacations or to pad savings.  It would give you something to do that wouldn't necessarily consume you.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Eventually I will need to go back financially as well. 

I do clean and cook every day.  And I bake. And I walk. And I go out shopping. It's just not all that fulfilling. If I could actually bake for a living, it would be the best of both worlds. 

• Options
    DS is in preK every day from 8-12:15 and I feel like I never have down time! I walk him to school, then walk to the gym and am there until 9:30 or 10. I usually run an errand two right after, go home, take a shower, vacuum/straighten up, and then leave to pick DS up. I also am his room mom so often have to do things for his classroom. Time fills up quickly!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm in the same position as you - I'm bored out of my mind and frankly, don't enjoy being a SAHM.  Plus, DH is self-employed and private insurance is terrible so it would be great if I could get benefits. 

Anyway, I'd been considering going back to work for the last year and decided 2 weeks ago to stop fussing and thinking about it and just do something.  I put my resume out there just to see what would come of it and I've gone on 4 interviews over the last week and now have 2 job offers in front of me and another position is supposed to be calling me later this week.  I'm not telling you this to pat myself on the back - I just wanted to point out that the job market isn't necessarily all that bad.  Of course it would depend on your field, etc but if you really are wanting to go back to work, it might be worth it to at least look around.

I was the BEST mom....until I became a mother. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for that!  I have updated my resume, and have been contemplating putting it on monster.com all day.  I think I will give it a shot. 
  • Options

imageDevonPow:
    Time fills up quickly!

This is so true. When DS1 was 2 weeks old, we moved to our current house and our next door neighbor was a SAHM to 2 kids who were in school all day. I could NOT wrap my mind around WTH she did all day.

Five-and-a-half years later, I feel stupid for even questioning how she could fill her day. I'm sure it's plenty full. But feeling fulfilled with it - that could be different for each person. I wonder if I will... I'm thinking a part-time gig would be great when I get to this stage.  

• Options
    I spent 4 hours today on volunteer work, for 3 different groups, and DS hasn't started school yet.  I signed him up for next year today, and started thinking the same thing.  I don't think paid work will work for me, given that what I am trained to do has ridiculous hours, but there is bound to be something. 
  • Options
    imagemlm1128:
    Thanks for that!  I have updated my resume, and have been contemplating putting it on monster.com all day.  I think I will give it a shot. 
       Good Luck!
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Options
    What about school? You said you love to bake... perhaps being a pastry chef/baker is in your future?
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"