January 2012 Moms

How much do you use a pacifier?

DD has been a bit fussy the last day or two and we used a pacifier to calm her a bit. I don't want it to become a necessity for her to relax so I am hesitant to use it. 

How much is your LO using a pacifier? 

DD 1.18.2012

Re: How much do you use a pacifier?

• At first I was dead set against using a pacifier but when DS was using me as a pacifier I gave in. When he's fed and dry and fussy he gets the paci, I don't think there's anything wrong with it now. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Initially I didn't want to use a pacifier at all.  But DD LOVES to suck on things.  And honestly, if I have to choose between her fingers/thumb and a pacifier, I'm picking the pacifier because I can take it away.  So right now we're using a pacifier only when nothing else seems to work - she's fed, dry, we've walked around, changed positions,etc.  Usually when she's really fussy/upset she frantically sucks on her hands, so we use a pacifier then, too.  My nurse friends and speech therapist friend said to try to wean the use of the pacifier by about 6 months or so, so when I'm home this summer on break we plan on weaning her from it so that it doesn't become a long-term habit that's even harder to break.  We don't want DD to have to have the pacifier to sleep or to calm down, but babies' need to suck is so strong early on that we felt like we needed to give in right now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't given him one yet because I am still trying to really establish bfing and my confidence with that. How long did you guys wait to introduce the paci and are you bfing?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • DS screamed for 5 hours yesterday with nothing else being wrong.  I finally gave in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
    BabyName Ticker
  • imageLhand11:
    I haven't given him one yet because I am still trying to really establish bfing and my confidence with that. How long did you guys wait to introduce the paci and are you bfing?

Well, the hospital gave her one during her car seat check (90 minutes!) so we didn't really have a say when she first received it. But since then, we've only used it on rare occasions. I am using a nipple shield, though, so there may be less confusion with that. 

DD 1.18.2012
  • I was dead set against giving DS a paci when I was a first time mom until one terrible screaming day and I gave in. It never interfered with his breastfeeding/my supply.  At one year we made the rule that paci was only for bedtime and nap time and at 2 years we took them all to the Dr. for the new babies.  We never had a single paci related bahavioral problem.GL!

He does have a cousin who is 3 and still addicted though.  Her parents use the paci as a way to keep her quiet when they don't feel like dealing with her.  I think those are the kids who end up with addiction/orthodontic problems from them. 

• imageLibraryChica:
    I use it generally when she's overtired and needs help getting to sleep. She loves to suck and prefers her fingers but she doesn't have the coordination to get to them 100% yet. I also give it to her when she has the hiccups. It seems to help her relax so they go away faster. 

I'm lurking here, not due til march but I just wanted to tell you that you're baby girl is breath taking!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • our daughter was in the NICU for 8 days and they introduced it...we are OK with that we were planning on it.  We use it as needed when nothing else is working.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I use it whenever I've exhausted all other options and it seems like she just wants to suck. I don't have the time to let my breasts be her pacifier! My first dd hated the paci, my 2nd was addicted until she was 3, so I'd like to take Bonnie's away before she's too addicted :) but for now it works for us.
    Cambria, Keira, and Bonnie Quinn
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was against it and now we use it randomly. Usually when he has a hard time getting to sleep and during his cat-naps. I just think its so cute too lol when theyre sucking on it, omg I just want to eat him!!
  • I didn't want my LO to have a paci until at least 4-6 weeks old but that went out the window when she had to go to the NICU for phototherapy and couldn't be consoled or soothed through any type of holding. She's still under the lights and only uses it to calm down before she spits it out. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"