May 2011 Moms

My first 911 call tonight. :( (not a sad ending)

Made my first child-related 911 call tonight - went 6 years without having to do that! It was SCARY.

I had given both girls a bath, and was putting lotion on Ashley and putting her jammies on. We were on the floor in her room. Putting a diaper on her right now is like trying to wrestle an oiled-up alligator. She flipped over and reached for a little piece of something on the ground. Before I had time to react, it was in her mouth - it happened so freaking fast.

I sat her up, tried to fish it out - I had no clue what it was, only that it was something green. Couldn't find it in her mouth. Then she started gagging. A little freaked out, but not scared yet. Then, about 30 seconds later, she started vomitting a little bit and heaving. I called for help (to my DH).

He came in, just as she was SERIOUSLY throwing up, it was foamy and she was hysterical. He grabbed her, yelled for me to call 911, which I was milliseconds away from doing anyway! Called 911, they put me on the line with EMSA (paramedics). While we were on the phone, she started calming down, no more throwing up. She was still crying and reaching for me though.

Within 2 minutes, I had a firetruck in my driveway and 4 HUGE firefighters in my house. Within 5 minutes, 2 more paramedics showed up on my doorstep. And Ashley now? Sitting in my arms smiling, snuggling and totally fine.

They were here for awhile, checked her vitals, listened to her lungs, checked her oxygen levels, everything checked out. They even wanted to see her throw up ... they analyzed her throw up, lol. They said it looked like milk and stomach acid. I refused transport, since they said she really seemed fine (and I agreed). They made me promise we would call if anything changed, not to feel bad about getting them back out.

In hindsight, I felt like we overreacted, but better safe than sorry. Even one of the firefighters said that is what they are there for - to help. They said if we ever felt worried, to just call 911. I am 99% sure she swallowed a plastic sticker from clothing. We are RARELY in her room (she sleeps in our room) and there are no toys in there. Nobody is on any medicine that would be in there - plus, like I said, we are so rarely in there.

It was SCARY. My poor older daughter, who is a nervous one anyway, was so scared for her sister. :( But all has ended well and baby Ashley is snuggled in bed sleeping. My DH? He is still a nervous wreck!

But now I know I will never be hesitant to call 911, the firefighters and paramedics really kept saying, "it is good you called, just to be sure", "please call again if you think things have changed" .... really made me realize that helping is the reason they are there.

~Lisa~
Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Re: My first 911 call tonight. :( (not a sad ending)

• Even my heart started racing a little just reading!!! How scary, glad to hear she's fine! It takes a second for something to happen, good thing you called 911, I would've too!!!

• That sounds really scary! You did the right thing by calling. At the first aid class I took over here, they kept impressing on us to call 112 (their version of 911) for any kind of child-related emergency. It became almost a joke in the class. Whenever a new topic would come up they'd say, "and what should you do first?" and everyone would answer, "call 112!"

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • How scary! Glad she is alright!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • very scary, did they find out what she swallowed?

On another board one of the girls daughters swallowed 3 pennies! she had to have surgery to have them removed. 

Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You did what you needed to do ~ don't feel bad at all.  Better to be safe than sorry.  What a scary situation ~ i'm so glad that everything was fine.
    ~~~I am MrsPLW71~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

My Birth Story
  • You did not overreact at all. Glad it all turned out ok!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mmmm...cake! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow, SO SCARY.  I'd have done the same thing. And it is absolutely 100% better safe than sorry. It's a good thing you called, that situation could have turned the otherway very quickly.

My H panics in emergency situations. He gets hysterical, he is of no help. We had a chimney fire in our last house. I kept asking him if I needed to call the fire department, and he was just running around, freaking out.  We live in the country, and our house at the time was board and batton (all wood). Anyways, I called 911 and said "Is a chimney fire an emergency?". The operator said absolutely, get everyone out immediately.  She then proceeded to ask me a bunch of questions I didn't know the answer to "are you south of ____, west of ____".  I grabbed my cat and sat in my car.  H was removing logs from the fireplace with ovenmitts and tongs.  (laughable now)  The fire department was there within 5 minutes, and the chimney fire had gone out by then.  But same thing, they told us to never ever hesitate to call, that's what they are there for, etc. They were amazing. They said our house would have burnt up completely within minutes if the fire had of continued, so it was a good thing we called when we did.

I am very glad for the happy ending to your story :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So glad everything turned out ok!

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • Better safe than sorry! I am so glad she is ok though.
  • It sounds awful.  I totally agree - in situations like this, better safe than sorry. Every single time.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • im glad everythings ok. im a nurse and so now ive learned to be calm during emergencies and then freak out later
  • You did the right thing by calling. Thank goodness everything turned out fine!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had an instance where I had to give my DS1 the heimlich (sp?) manuever. He was choking and turning blue. It was a horrific experience. There was no time to call 911 but I'm so glad you did.

Anyway, I suffered from like post traumatic stress after! I felt weird and skittish and anxious for a few days after. Might happen to your DH.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don?t think you?ve overreacted at all. It?s my worst fear that something like that happens to LO since we?re alone. I know I would have to keep my cool but I think that?s easier said than done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!image
  • Thanks for the thoughts everyone! She is totally fine, no problems! We never figured out what she ate - it never passed. They said if we never saw anything come out, it was likely paper and it got digested....
    ~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Holy moly.  SCARY!! I haven't had to call yet, but we've come close. Glad everyone is alright!

• OMG! i would have done exactly the same. FREAKED OUT! 

I wonder what made her vomit like that?! :( glad everything worked out!!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"