Postpartum Depression
Options

How did you know you were ready to come off meds?

I've been on Zoloft (generic) for a little over a year now. Mostly for PPA but also PPD. It has helped tremendously!

My OB doesn't really talk to me about it...he gave me the script after I burst into tears at an OB visit. Then at my last yearly visit, he just refilled a year's subscription, no questions asked.

Back in Oct., my pharmacy switched the generic brand and I became really irritable again and started back up with the bad/scary what-if thoughts. When I switched back to the old stuff, I was fine again, so it was definitely the med change.

I suddenly feel ... better ? I don't know if that's the word for it. I just suddenly feel like I'd be ok going off the meds. Before, I was terrified to ever go off and I've told DH I NEVER want to go off the meds. Now I feel like maybe I'm ready.

I would definitely wait until after the winter season! Especially with the long dark winters we have here...

I guess I'm just wondering how you knew it was time to come off the meds... and how it went, how you weaned off them... TIA.

CP 3/07
BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
BFP 11/14

Re: How did you know you were ready to come off meds?

• Options

I normally post on the September 2012 board but I lurk here often.

When I was younger & dealing with my depression it was a "goal" to get off the meds.  I tried a few times on my own with horrible results. Then when I was 24 I weaned off paxil with my drs help & was good... until pregnancy.  I've been on zoloft now since October 2010.  When I went back on meds, initially I thought that it was just short term but I've come to accept the fact that I'm just better with them. As I've gotten older (I'm 32 now) the shame that I felt for having to be on them has eased & I accept myself more for the person I am. If that person needs these meds then that's the way it is. This is definitely a question that needs some consideration. Why do you want to be off the meds? Are you ready/willing to possibly be back in the same boat? What does your DH think?

When I was younger I just had myself to worry/think about but now I have my family as well. My answers to those questions have changed as I've gotten older.

GL with your decision.  Not sure if I helped or not but I wanted to help in any way that I could.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

I agree with PP- I too have come to terms that I feel better and am a better "me" when I am on the meds.  I know how you feel, not wanting to be on them forever.  I too had tried to wean off earlier in my 20s when I did not have health insurance, and it was really bad.  I didn't just revert to how I was before the meds, I was much worse.

One of the trickiest things about dealing with depression and anxiety is that you feel so much better, so the meds don't seem necessary.  But in reality, that is why you are doing so well! 

First of all, you need to find someone other than your non-talking OB to discuss this with.  I would contact either your general practitioner, or a local psychiatrist (NOT as scary as it sounds- it is just for med management!).  They will be much more able to discuss your options, and from the sounds of it, much more communicative.   

Also, coming off of meds, there is a legitimate withdrawal, and it can be scary. If you and your doctor determine it is best for you to be off the medication, he or she will set up a system of weaning that will take a while, but it is so your body doesn't go into withdrawal.  You can get dizziness, blurred vision, headaches, and things of that nature if you stop cold turkey.  Even though it is only Zoloft, and not a "heavy" drug, this can still happen, so please, please don't stop outright.  I fear that you would feel far worse than you ever have. 

I hope I've helped somewhat.  Like I said, best bet is to talk all your options out with a doctor who will listen to you- because you deserve someone who will take the time to hear all of your concerns! And, be proud of yourself for doing so great that you even have to ask this question :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You're probably feeling better b/c the drugs are working.  I would see a therapist, that has truely helped me.  I'm on celexa and lamictal.  I was on zoloft but still had issues, I needed something stronger.  Since my drug change I've been so much happier where I actually like my husband again.  I had planned on divorcing him, and had it all planned out.  Now I can't even imagine my life without him again and I'm finding that I'm back to how I was pre baby.  I have also come to terms that those who say they love their baby so much and can't imagine their life without them and motherhood is the best, are lying.  Being a parent does suck.  Especially when you're older and used to have a fun life without a baby.  My son is almost a year old and I don't think I'll be off my meds anytime soon, and that's just fine with me.  I'm happy, love my husband and my son.  I find that I'm less pissy.  I only get depressed during my period and it's only for a day. I don't even mind getting up in the middle of the night b/c that means more snuggle time.  I am a stay at home mom now too... was a career girl before baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"