Breastfeeding
Options

Nursing when out (s/o to latch question below)

For those of you able to nurse when you're out and about, how do you adjust to the "right" position? I have not been brave enough to attempt this yet... Sad

Re: Nursing when out (s/o to latch question below)

• Options
    I don't remember nursing out and about when my DD was this young.  They get so much better at latching as they get older that you forget about these kinds of issues--so hang in there.  I would feel fine adjusting if I was under a blanket/cover of some sort.  If people could see my nips, no, I would not feel comfortable adjusting so freely.
  • Options

This is answering your question below, too: I used a pillow with DS when nursing sitting up (he laid on the pillow) until he was about 4-6 months? Until then I had to use one, though if we were out and about, I found that crossing my legs or shoving a sweater/something soft but bulky under him, worked too.

BUT, I didn't nurse him in public until he was about 10 weeks old - wasn't brave enough, but also, until then it took a bit to get him in the right position/latch. But then one day I found myself with a screaming baby at the mall, so I had to suck it up and do it. I just focussed on him and didn't notice if anyone noticed me nursing him - you can aaalways find a semi-secluded spot, you know? hth

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies - it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels a little anxious about nursing her when out. I have friends who seem to have ZERO problems breastfeeding their DCs, whip out a boob and away they go. <sigh> Some girls are just so lucky!
  • Options

I didn't need to nurse while out until DD was about 1.5 mos old. If I know I'm going to need to, I do bring a nursing cover (the kind with straps are really great). It's no problem then to adjust however you need to to get the latch right.

And I agree with the pp about crossing you legs for support. No, it's not comfortable. But I find she nurses for less time in public because it's not as comfortable for her or me (no comfort sucking). 

But, I think nursing in public is only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Most people aren't going to know (or care!) what's going on. Plus, it's a major advertisement for breastfeeding :)

• Options
    I didn't NIP until DS was about 5 months.  Before then, I had to use a pillow.  Once he was 5-6mo he could hold himself up better and just crossing my legs worked.  We didn't have latch problems at all, it was more of a support issue.
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I started NIP when DS was 4 weeks old. Really just pull your shirt up and quickly put their head in front and you're good to go, adjust, whatever you need. Honest, no one can see who isn't craning their neck and they are asking for it.

I think you'd find it easier if you stop overthinking how much people can see. Really the baby blocks most of the view.

• Options

One thing that has helped me to feel more confident about NIP is to nurse in front of a mirror.  If you're at a mall with a hungry baby, try popping into a department store dressing room and nursing with a mirror in front of you.  When I've done this (nursing at Motherhood, for example) I've been able to confirm that nobody can see anything b/c DS's head blocks my breast from view.  Even when he pops off, everything is blocked, and he starts to turn and look around, I can pull my shirt down quickly to cover my nipple.

• Options
    I was nervous about NIP at first too.  But then I found myself in a position where I didn't have much choice - I was out to lunch with girlfriends and DD was losing it... thankfully, one of my friends has a 1yo and she had her ring-sling with her.  She took me in the bathroom and showed me how to use it for nursing - and away we went!  I use it all the time and it works great.  Plus, if DD conks out after nursing, she's already in the sling and I can go about my day with her in there.  hth
  • Options
    Ditto practicing in front of a mirror.  I also would typically use my diaper bag as a makeshift pillow under my arm that had her head there. It's really not as bad as you picture it...people really have to be looking to see anything.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not being able to nurse in public was soooo hard for me. I felt trapped inside my house until DS was about 3-4 months old and eventually I just kind of managed.  (My big problem was that I couldn't nurse without a pillow). As he got older & bigger it got a little easier.  Crossing my legs would sometimes help but anything you could use to boost the baby up a little would be good. I've also seen travel nursing pillows online which I might buy this time around. GL and I can totally sympathize!!

DS #1: May 25, 2007

DS #2: Jan 7, 2009

DD #3 due May 17, 2014!!! Low lying placenta and DD measuring 1 week ahead at big u/s

• Options
    I'm actually not worried about what people can see, I'm worried that I can't get her to latch properly due to improper support and positioning, y'know, then it gets a little stressful... Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"