July 2012 Moms
Options

Granola Bars with Chicory Root Extract?

Hi, I posted about the Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar yesterday and someone mentioned a WebMD article in which chicory root (in large amounts) should be avoided during pregnancy because it can cause complications. These bars contain chicory root extract as one of the ingredients (as well as Fiber One bars too).

I'm going to call the doctor on lunch to double check, but has anyone confirmed with their OB that they shouldn't eat these granola bars? I try to stay away from most stuff that is not recommended, but I'm also not anal about it, either. Just want to be smart.

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

Re: Granola Bars with Chicory Root Extract?

• Options
    Where is it in the ingredient list?  If it's not near the top, the amount will be very small.  (I have no idea about chicory root, but if it's a really small amount my assumption is you'll be fine.)
  • Options
    It's actually one of the first ingredients listed.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think taking Chicory supplements would be a bad idea (most herbal supplements are not a good idea, I've found).

But I can't imagine that there is all that much in a granola bar? If you were eating enough Fiber One granola bars for the chicory to be an issue, I would bet that your bigger concern would be crapping your brains out. Haha.

• Options

Just a heads up.  I (and several that I work with) were eating these bars as snacks while doing Weight Watchers.  We found that the chickory root extract caused HORRIBLE constipation and gas.  I googled and found that we were not the only ones with this problem ( if you trust Dr. Google).  Once we eliminated them from the diet, we had immediate relief.

Since constipation is often a problem with pregnancy anyway, I thought you might want to know!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"