Minnesota Babies

ECFE Birth-3 Home Visit for Speech Delay

Hello! Just wondering if any of you have had a home visit through ECFE. My DD is two and she is being evaluated on Tuesday for a speech delay. A speech therapist and early childhood development teacher are coming to our home. Just wondering what to expect...if anyone has done this I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ECFE Birth-3 Home Visit for Speech Delay

• We had an evaluation for DS through the school district. It went pretty smoothly. They'll ask you a lot of questions at first so your child can get comfortable with them being there and then they do some standardized testing. The questions they ask will have to do with the birth, any health issues that your child has, what words she's currently saying/using, how does she communicate her needs/wants with you, does she understand certain things that you ask her, etc.... It can be a little overwhelming. Which school district are you in?
  • C&HC&H member

We did this for my DS when he was 10 months old and he is now 4. We are in district 11 and have had good experiences with the program. They will ask you a bunch of questions not necessarily all related to speech just because they want to make sure there aren't any other areas that your DD may need services for. I think the meeting took a good hour but he was 10 months at the time and needed speech for a birth defect so they had a lot of info coming into it. Good luck!

Heather
  • Loading the player...
  • We are in the South St Paul/Inver Grove Heights district.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We are excited for tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes! Thanks!

• We met with the speech therapist and early childhood development teacher this morning. It was fun! They asked us all the questions that you had mentioned and basically played with DD. They are coming back next week to do a full evaluation. She is behind where she should be with speech...but they were impressed at how hard she tries to say everything--it just isn't coming out right. Overall, it was a great experience and I'm anxious to find out what happens next week after her full evaluation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"