Breastfeeding
Options

HELP: Pumping instead of EBFing

I am pumping my milk because I am concerned about LO health and the fact that he might not be getting enough milk.  Plus he was in the NICU for 5 days (after birth) in which they bottle fed him using formula.  He has been taking my pumped milk via bottle but it seems that he has hit a growth spurt at 8 days old.  I am afraid that he already has nipple confusion and my supply will not meet his demand. 

Any help ?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: HELP: Pumping instead of EBFing

• Options

Well, it's not "nipple confusion" really. It's "bottles are easier" and the only cure is no bottles.

Being on the boob what feels like 24/7 is normal. That's how you make more milk - you nurse all the time. If you're trying to do anything other than feed the baby and survive (literally just eating and sleeping and maybe having a 5 minute shower in a day), you're trying to do too much. Were you pumping while they did formula? 

You can do this - just keep nursing. Offer a boob every time baby wakes up and just keep switching sides until he loses interest (and probably falls asleep).

• Options

I agree that its not nipple confusion...LO never really got the nipple, so they can't be confused....I think that you should speak to a lactation consultant to help introduce the nipple so you can successfully breastfeed.  It can be done, so don't worry about it being too late.  But a LC should really be able to help you with positions and latching so that you and LO can do this successfully.

And if you can - avoid exclusive pumping!  I'm going on 9 months tomorrow, and wish we could have BF.  But I'm just happy that I am able to give DD my milk.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"