Maine Babies

Portland area Moms: Mercy vs. Maine Med?

I plan on touring both places but was curious to hear any good / bad experiences about either hospital?  From what I have heard so far, both have new, nice birthing centers but Maine Med seems to have an edge with the NICU on site.  I did notice that all the education classes at Mercy are free if you're registered with them...

Thanks for sharing any thoughts!

Re: Portland area Moms: Mercy vs. Maine Med?

• Personally, I'm a huge Mercy fan.  I had DD there and it was a med free birth.  They are very supportive of natural births and were very patient with me.  Their nurses are awesome!  I like that you stay in the same room for the entire labor and recovery - which is not the case at Maine Med.  I also like that it is a smaller, more intimate facility.  They also have awesome lactations consultants. 

I'm planning on delivering at Mercy again Smile  Good luck with your decision!

• While I'm not familiar with either hospital (my first pregnancy!) I have heard a lot of really great things about a program called Birth Roots in Portland which provides a lot of great resources and information for local parents:https://www.ourbirthroots.org/
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Def MMC.

God forbid anything goes wrong, state of the art NICU 1 floor up.

In recent years (as a nurse), I have known of several transfers from Mercy to MMC for NICU services. Whlie it's only a 5 minute drive, those minutes could save lives.

• I had both my kids at Mercy.  One started as natural labor and ended in an emergency c-section (done at Mercy in The Birthplace) and the second was a scheduled c-section also done at The Birthplace.

Great nurses, love the doctors (I was with All About Women) but most of all LOVE that you are in one room the whole time.  My husband joked it was like staying at a B&B.  It is your room from when you arrive until you leave and you can decorate it and make it your own.  I would definetly recommend Mercy. 

As for the NICU issue, it didn't concern me...I spoke with my doctor about it and they explained that if the baby needed to go they would be taken via ambulance with dad and that I would follow and finish my recovery at MMC with the baby.  I might have felt differently if there were concerns about my babies health prior to birth however. 

They are both great hospitals, honestly I don't think there is a "wrong" choice.

https://momsbalancing.blogspot.com/

• Both of my cousins have had their children at the new Mercy Foreriver location. I noticed how wonderful the staff was there and it seems like a great and peaceful experience. That's where i'm going =)
    First time mommy!! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm with All About Women! That sounds so wonderful and the thought of one room to ourselves is nice! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • i had my son at Maine Med and we had a great experience! i actually live 45 minutes away and have three hospitals that are closer to home but the drive is well worth it! baby number two will be born there as well. i'm a germ-a-phobe and loved how clean maine med was.
  • I am 11 weeks today and this is my 3rd child. First was emergancy c-sections, my second child was planned c-section (was told I didnt have an option at inland in waterville) It has been 4 years since my last pregnacy and id like to do a vbac! Any good OB'S who support this and deliver at maine med or mercy, but have the option of also doing a c-section if necessary? Any ob close to augusta the delivers at maine med or mercy would be helpful but we are also willign to travel to portland if it means living up to our birth plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"