Food Allergy
Options

Dumb "nut" question..

What exactly is a tree nut?  DS is fine with peanuts but past that hasn't had any other nut.  I want to know what to look out for..

TIA

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Dumb "nut" question..

• Options

Almonds, Cashews, Chestnuts, Hazelnuts, Macadamia Nuts, Pecans, Pine Nuts, Pistachios, Walnuts, Brazil Nuts.. and I have heard conflicting info on Coconut.

But also be aware that you can be allergic to only certain tree nuts, not all of them (as is the case with DD). So just because 1 or 2 tree nuts are okay does not mean all of them will be. DS's allergy to certain tree nuts is high enough that we just avoid all of them because the risk of confusion or cross-contamination is just too high IMO.

• Options
    Thank you!!  DS has had none of those yet (as far as I know) so at least I know what to look for!!  Thanks again!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pine nut is not a nut. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagelnyost:
    Pine nut is not a nut. 

True, but for whatever reason the FDA has decided that it is for allergen labeling purposes. Same with coconut. It is most definitely not a nut, but is labeled as one. 

If your LO does have a tree nut allergy there may be some nuts that there is no reaction to, or varying levels of sensitivity. Brazil nuts will affect me hard and fast, but if a hazel nut sneaks in my food I might not even react enough to notice anything too unusual. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"