My 60lb. lab ate chocolate. — The Bump
April 2012 Moms

My 60lb. lab ate chocolate.

While I was out she got into my candy stash. She ate 3 tootsie roll pops, 3 or 4 tootsie rolls (one that's about the size of a thumb, the others were smaller) and 3 or so flavored tootsie rolls. Those aren't chocolate I don't think. WTF. I don't think she ingested enough to even feel queasy, since she's so big. But good grief! I have a wrapped 12 inch long bone under the tree that she's been scoping out all weekend, why not eat that??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac

Re: My 60lb. lab ate chocolate.

  • While I was in culinary school, I made a beautiful lute completely out of chocolate and my DH's stupid dog ate it. She didn't even get sick. 6 hours of work and chocolate and she is still kicking.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  • Oh man! I have small dogs (7lbs and 11lbs) so I always panic when they do stuff like that. You can call the animal poison control hot line and they are really helpful and tell you whether or not you should be worried. A few weeks ago one of my dogs ate my vitamin B6 and unisom and I had to call. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My greyhound (who are known to have sensitive tummies) has eaten so much chocolate!  A full LARGE Hershey bar and some gold coins.  He also helped himself to all the snacks I put in my hospital bag when I had DD! 

    The only side effect was a little more poop and one wired dog for a day or two.  He's survived. 

    When I called the vet they said they chocolate they worry about is dark chocolate and the baker's chocolate.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#1 1.28.10; HB 6w5d 2.18.10; No HB 3.8.10; Natural m/c 3.9.10 at 9w3d
    BFP#2 - 7.22.10 DD born 3.16.11
    BFP#3 - 8.11.11 DS born 3.27.12
  • My little dogs ate a bag of M&Ms when I first got them.  I called the vet and they told me they would have had to eat somethign like 1lb of pure chocolate (these were milk chocolate w/ peanuts) per pound of dog for it to be toxic.  And that they might puke, but they wouldn't die.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Thank you for the reassurance girls. I'm going to keep my eye on her. I foster dogs, and have a 12 year old puggie, and HER... and no one else has ever eaten anything but her! LOL. She's SO bad! She digs my underwear out of the laundry hamper too (even if it's at the bottom) and EATS IT! No, shreds it, so I can't even recognize it. She's eaten about 6 pairs of my maternity underwear, leaving me with NOTHING!  I have never heard of the doggie posion control hotline, where do I find that number??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • Chocolate regularly is bad, but My vet said they have to eat about 1/2 their weight in chocolate for it to kill them at once. Otherwise they may have an upset tummy.
  • My lab ate a whole bag of chocolate chip cookies once.  I had just baked them and maybe ate 1 or 2 out of it.  I called the vet and they said that for her size (around 80lbs) she would have to have eaten over 2lbs to have her get sick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageWildlandwife:

    My greyhound (who are known to have sensitive tummies) has eaten so much chocolate!  A full LARGE Hershey bar and some gold coins.  He also helped himself to all the snacks I put in my hospital bag when I had DD! 

    The only side effect was a little more poop and one wired dog for a day or two.  He's survived. 

    When I called the vet they said they chocolate they worry about is dark chocolate and the baker's chocolate.

    We have a greyhound too! She has not yet eaten any chocolate, except maybe something I dropped on the floor without knowing.

    Lillian April 17, 2012
  • My 42 lb pitbull ate 3 chocolate cupcakes about a month ago, he was absolutely fine, he did need a bath though Surprise
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think Baker's chocolate is considered the worst thing for dogs to eat. My dog ate stamps yesterday, a whole book. He's an 100lb black lab.

    When he was 1 he got into the bathroom within a few minutes he had chewed apart my razor. He ran into our bedroom with the plastic handle. He had ingested the blades! After a $2,500 surgery I will never leave a razor at a reachable distance for him again!!

    He hasn't done chocolate yet though! 

    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • my mom has a dachshund and she once ate like half a chocolate cake, and didn't even get sick. This dog is probably like 20-25 lbs.
    image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • our lab has eaten a whole chicken breast (raw), half a pan of brownies, half a pumpkin pie, countless pop tarts and of coarse a part of our wedding cake (on the morning of our wedding)...shes lucky shes alive!

     




    Court
    DH 40  ME 40
    GD, Myasthenia Gravis, Factor V Leiden

    DS #1 born via emergancy c-section 01/23/06 at 37w

    DS#2 born via c-section 10/27/2007 at 36w due to PROM

    DS #3 born via repeat c-section 04/13/2012 at 39w



    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away." - George Carlin
  • There's not enough chocolate in those to make your dog sick. In fact, I'm not even sure if they contain any real chocolate, it might just be chocolate flavouring! Both of my small dogs have gotten into stuff and digested it, the worst being some eye drops my poodle cross got into. He was so sick. He also managed to eat an entire bag of dark chocolate chunk cookies and my chihuahua scarfed down a dark chocolate Godiva bar. All these times the vets had to induce vomiting and give them charcoal and medication.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLuvmy2sons:
    Thank you for the reassurance girls. I'm going to keep my eye on her. I foster dogs, and have a 12 year old puggie, and HER... and no one else has ever eaten anything but her! LOL. She's SO bad! She digs my underwear out of the laundry hamper too (even if it's at the bottom) and EATS IT! No, shreds it, so I can't even recognize it. She's eaten about 6 pairs of my maternity underwear, leaving me with NOTHING!  I have never heard of the doggie posion control hotline, where do I find that number??

    My pugs do this too!!!! My boy pug also gets in my purse and takes out gum, lotion, tampons, whatever and tries to eat it - they're crazy! ;) 

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    image
  • A couple of years ago my 45-50 pound dog ate about 6 chocolate no bake cookies (he pulled the saran wrap the cookies were hardening on off the cabinet). I called the vet and he said since it was milk chocolate, he would have to eat a TON of them to die, and that they probably wouldn't even make him sick. Like a pp said, dark chocolate is what is really dangerous for them. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Just no grapes! A lot of people don't know that, it's worse than chocolate... A lot worse.
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards