Health & Exercise

Joined the gym & not losing any weight

I have 10 more lbs to lose to get back to pre-1st pregnancy weight. I just want to fit into my clothes so I can stop wearing the same things. And to get rid of the muffin top that I have to hide.

Anyways, I joined the gym 5 weeks ago & I've been going a ton. Started with yoga, pilates & treadmill. Then Step, Spin, On the Ball, elliptical. I can tell my muscles are getting bigger but I go down 1-2 lbs & then back up. What is the deal? I try to eat better & I actually lose the weight when I splurge all weekend & don't go to the gym. I know they say muscle burns fat & I know I had a ton of muscle to build back. But when will this turn around so I can start shedding the weight? I've started eating breakfast. Cut back on caffeine, drinking more water. Counting calories. Going to the gym almost everyday. 

Re: Joined the gym & not losing any weight

• In your situation, I'd stop looking at the scale and go by how your clothes are fitting and maybe check your measurements.  Muscle doesn't just burn more than fat, it also weighs more but takes up less space.  You could just be shifting things from more fat to more muscle.

• They say losing weight is 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise, so I'd focus more on what/how much you're eating rather than how much you are working out. Also, it can be much more difficult to lose those last 10 vanity pounds so I wouldn't get frustrated if you don't see an immediate response.

Aim to lose 1/2 to 1 pound per week, use a site like livestrong or sparkpeople to come up with a calorie range and track what you eat, and find an exercise routine that you can stick with. I used sparkpeople to track what I was eating and event though I thought I was eating fairly healthy it really opened my eyes to how much I was eating. I lost 20lbs in about 5 months and have kept it off for over 1.5 years (and no longer need to track what i eat).

And just to address what the pp noted. Yes, while volumetrically muscle weighs more than fat, you'd have to gain quite a bit of muscle in the 5 weeks to notice it on the scale.  

• Loading the player...
  • If you're actually losing weight on the weeks you "splurge" could you be restricting your calories too much? I know it seems logical to cut back on what we're eating when trying to lose weight, but it's also very important that you are actually consuming the suggested amount of calories for your age/height/weight and fitness goals. In addition, you may need additional calories if you are working out more. This doesn't mean that you should necessarily splurge regularly, but just make sure you are eating enough of the right foods. When we don't eat enough our bodies tend to hold on to calories for preservation purposes.
  • Diet! Diet is key. You cannot out train a poor diet.
  • I think diet is 90% of a weight loss journey. I still have 30 lbs to lose and just recently started back at the gym (walking 2.5 miles on the treadmill uphill most days of the week). Be patient. If you watch what you eat and are dedicated to going to the gym most days it will come off. GL!
  • As a PP said, log your food if you don't already.  It's very eye opening every time.  I like the Lose It app (or lose it.com if you don't have a smartphone or iPod/iPad).  
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"