Austin Babies
Options

WWYD: Night time PT

DS is turning 3 this week and has been PT during the day for 4 months or so.  His big sister, 4 1/2, started going without a pull up at night about a month ago and so he is trying, too.  He insists on wearing underwear at night, but has only made it through the night a few times.  If he wakes up on his own, we can get him to go potty, but most of the time he wakes up wet and upset, so we go in and change him and the sheets. He usually has a zippy of water available at night and taking that away would be a huge struggle.  He's not quite old enough to reason with on that kind of thing, but I am sure that would help.

We've been able to talk him into wearing a diaper under his underwear once or twice, but that's it.  We don't want to physically force him to wear a diaper, but I'm not sure if we're helping him by letting him wear underwear if he's not ready. 

So, what would you do?  Just keep changing the sheets?  Does anyone make a super absorbent underwear (we have Gerber trainers and they are nowhere near enough)?

Re: WWYD: Night time PT

• Options
    What worked for us was to take them to the potty around 11 or 12 right before we go to bed. We just pick them up while they are sleeping and put them on the potty and then put them back in bed. It works everytime and I've never had them wake up. Check out Little Beetles cloth training pants. They hold way more than the gerber ones.
  • Options

imageec3under4:
    What worked for us was to take them to the potty around 11 or 12 right before we go to bed. We just pick them up while they are sleeping and put them on the potty and then put them back in bed. It works everytime and I've never had them wake up. Check out Little Beetles cloth training pants. They hold way more than the gerber ones.

This is what my friends did w/ their son and it worked really well.  It didn't really wake him up; he went right back to sleep. But it was enough to empty his bladder to make it the rest of the night.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

How much water is he actually consuming at night? Abby wanted a cup of water by her bed for the longest time. She'd ask for a sip just before bed and insist we leave the cup. What worked for us was only bringing 1-2oz and telling her that's all there is for the night. If he's drinking too much water at night, it can actually interfere with the quality of his sleep, especially if it's causing full waking. Probably not good for your sleep quality either right!? If there's a certain time he usually wakes, catching him just before like the PP's suggest may work wonders. I'd never thought of that actually!

We also have always kept a toddler potty (we have the FP froggie one) in her room since her room is on the 2nd floor. We wanted to restrict her access while also letting her go potty. It's always in the same place for nap or night so she just knows where to go and goes back to bed without too much hassle.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Taytee- He has about 8 oz of water most nights.  It makes sense that it would disrupt his sleep, but I hadn't really thought about that.

I think we'll try the dream pee.  I hesitate to wake him up, but if it's just a partial waking, that would be way better than waking up soaking wet. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"