Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

What would you do??? Teething + CIO

So, I recently posted about doing the CIO with my DS...well i've noticed a lot of drool, he's been biting my arm (lol, god love him) etc etc. This morning we woke up and he had a top right front tooth poking through! I'm excited and torn at the same time! I know that he is in pain, and I've been giving him ibuprofen and orajel and also gave him cold rags, teethers, and those teething biscuits (loves them but makes a horrible mess).  I just feel bad letting him CIO because I know that he is in pain!

Am I wrong for wanting to stick to the CIO? I feel like it's working (slowly but surely).  I've gone off my planned course a little bit and gone in and given him orajel and his binky and laid him back down, and he's done very well with that. He will whine (sometimes scream) for a few minutes after I walk out , but the time is getting less and less as the day's are going on. Tonight will be night 4 btw.

Sometimes being a mommy breaks my heart! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What would you do??? Teething + CIO

• Options

Maybe its not the right time to start CIO if his teeth are bothering him really bad? I am no expert, and have only let her cry a few min max...so who knows.

If I were you I would keep going in with the orajel and binky to soothe him for now. He could be in pain, and I know as an adult when I am in pain, I dont want to CIO and fall asleep, KWIM? Good luck! Sleep training is tough.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would hold off until the worst of the teething subsides. I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to let them cry when they are in pain, sick, etc...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If your giving him the pain meds then hopefully they are working.  If you are seeing improvement I'd stick with it.  My LO started getting teeth at 4 months and they are still coming.  There will always be something to make you think twice about CIO.  It sounds like you know his crys, I let me LO CIO but I know when she starts screaming for a few minutes that I have to go in, she will not calm down on her own.

• Options
    There are times when I know DS is crying in pain and crying because he just doesn't want to nap/sleep. He's nearly constantly teething (8 teeth and 3 coming through... shoot me) and I dose him when necessary, but not more often than that. If he's being crankier than usual he gets a dose of infant ibuprofin/acetaminophen and if it helps, I know its just his mouth hurting. At night when he wakes crying from teething pain- I don't necessarily let him CIO- I just listen and give it a time limit. If he's crying for more than 20 mintues with no sign of winding down and going back to sleep, I go in, dose him, and rock him to sleep. Most times though he's put himself back to sleep by that time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't do CIO when LO is obviously cutting teeth. You didn't know that until you saw the tooth (happened to me 10 days ago). They're in pain until they poke through some more, so just be there for him and make him as comfortable as possible so he can get some rest.

I went through 3-4 weeks straight of night time wakings/screamfests, but there was a reason: LO was fighting a virus, had pink eye and was teething.

Joseph Michael - 12/22/2010
    5lbs 9 oz, 18.5 inches long
    6 months: 16lbs 15 oz, 27 inches long

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"