Single Parents
Options

Counseling for LO?

DS is 4, almost 5 and having a lot of trouble with preK.  He's been really clingy to me and in the past few months developed some anxiety related to going to PreK.  I work 3 days a week, and stay home the other 4, and he is only there 2 1/2 hours 3x a week, other times he is with Grammie.  He has been going to this school for 3 years so that's not new. 

New things:  A new teacher and new room and new group of kids.  Also, his father was out of his life for the 18 months and just came back in late August, right before school started. 

I can't figure out if the problem is school (the teacher, the kids etc) or the fact that his dad is back in his life.  A couple of my IRL friends have suggested counseling for DS but I don't think I want to go there...he's only 4 and it just seems to me like it might be making a bigger deal out of his dad being back in his life then it really is.  Am I missing something?  What do you think, would you/do you take LO to talk to someone?  I can see the benefits of a neutral party and all...I'm just feeling kind of weird about it I guess. 

Other thoughts are to check out a different preK school, because I'm feeling like it's a lot to do with this one kid in the class, and the way the teacher is handling it.  I'm at my wits end dropping off a crying kid that is SO.NOT.A.CRIER. over anything. 

TIA

Re: Counseling for LO?

• Options
    It has been my experience that kids between the ages of 4-6 have the most difficult time understanding family changes, so it very well could be related to his father being back in his life, but of course it could be anything. I think trying counseling is a great idea. A good counselor is worth their weight in gold, and though a bad counselor is worth nothing, it is worth giving it a shot, particularly if insurance will cover it.
  • Options
    I am about to try counseling for one of my three year olds. She has a lot of anxiety in general about me leaving, and is clingy at an unhealthy level. It also really didn't help that I spent 6 days in the hospital two weeks ago. 

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks all :)  For now we are going to try a different preK program, one that DS did a VBS program with.  If that doesn't help, then I will be seeking outside help.  I honestly think it has more to do with the kid/teacher issues than with his father coming back into his life.  Time will tell.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"