Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

True Story

We're still having issues with Ellie gagging herself. My house, car, and dogs are covered in puke.

So last night I bought the bitter thumb stuff to stop thumb sucking. If her fingers taste horrible she'll be less likely to stick them in her mouth right? I sobbed as I painted her tiny fingers with this stuff. It seems so cruel. She's just a baby, she eats with her hands, she still chews her toys with those hands. However, she's slightly underweight already and constantly causing herself to vomit so I have to do something.

Shortly after applying the stuff she tried to gag herself again. She pulled her hand out quickly and stared at it for a few seconds. Then she just licked her fingers. Then she looked right at me and stuck her entire hand in her mouth and sucked on it! She loves the stuff! Fvck me.

So now I guess I'm going with stuffed mittens when she gets in the mood to gag herself. I've already talked to the pedi (which wasn't very helpful) and he said it's a phase she'll grow out of. It's been going on for nearly 2 months now.

From what I've read it's most often caused by a sore throat or for a reaction. I'm confident it's not sickness since she only does it when she gets pissed at us, but I can't help but react. I can't have her losing anymore weight.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: True Story

• Options

I am so sorry she is still gagging herself. I have no help to offer but to say hang in there and hopefully it will pass really soon! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for the support Thankful. A lot of family members are telling me to try just ignoring it which I agree with for many things. This issue is unique in the fact that if I ignore it she continues to do it and it's not healthy for her to vomit this much. She will do it several times in a row if we don't physically stop her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageHyfagal:
    Thank you for the support Thankful. A lot of family members are telling me to try just ignoring it which I agree with for many things. This issue is unique in the fact that if I ignore it she continues to do it and it's not healthy for her to vomit this much. She will do it several times in a row if we don't physically stop her.

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to try to ignore to not give her the "attention" or whatever she may be doing this for, but you are completely right that you can't ignore it completely. Have you maybe tried drawing her attention to something else while she does it instead of physically stopping her? I am sure you have but that is the only thing I could see myself doing. Good luck. I will be sending T&Ps for Ellie. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What a rascal!  You are trying all the right things though, so I commend you.  Hopefully you can try to redirect her the instant it looks like she is going for a gag.  Don't beat yourself up, you can't hover over her 24/7.  Maybe if her weight becomes a concern your pedi would ok a supplement of some kind?  I don't know much about it but surely there is some sort of calorically dense nutritional supplement you could try on her. 
  • Options
    So sorry this is still going on.  Hoping she will grow out of it soon.  I can relate on the puke everywhere. James had reflux pretty bad until he was about 6 months old. He would puke all.the.time. So gross.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

((Hugs))

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"