Food Allergy
Options

Wheat sensitivity- need others feedback!

My DD is 8 months now and was exclusively breastfed the first 6 months with no issues.  She started solids (banana, apple, peaches, sweet potato, peas) at 6 months and did okay until cinnamon, cheerios and Gerber puffs were introduced.  I mixed cinnamon in her applesauce and while eating she developed a red ring around her mouth but it went away pretty quickly after.  I started trying cheerios at 7 months and don't know what I was thinking but gave her the multigrain cheerios.  They made her cheeks turn red and bumpy and interestingly also turned her thumb red later (she's a thumb-sucker).  Her thumb was red & dry for several days and it took a few days for her cheeks to clear up, too.  So, she hasn't had those again but I did try regular organic cheerios and she gets random bumps almost immediately on her cheeks, chin, mouth areas.  Same with the puffs but they also affected her thumb again.  So we have taken all wheat out of the picture but she continues to get some red bumps on her face (they usually get a whitehead the second day) and have formed a patch by her mouth.  Besides through breastmilk, she has had a couple of times over the past couple of weeks where she found one cheerio and ate it (she has older sisters) and also loves to race to the dog food and has managed a couple of kernals.  She has painful gas some nights but no issues with poop.  I am just starting elimination diets (going back to one food per three days for her and eliminating wheat for me) for us both to figure out if there are other causes.

Sorry it's so long- I guess my questions are 1. Does this sound consistent with others with wheat allergies?  2. Do you think my breastmilk would affect her now when it didn't affect her before?  She's always had gas issues on occasion that keep her up at night crying but never rashes.

Thanks for any insight!

Stephanie

Stephanie (Mom of 3 girls, Autumn (7), Shelby (5), and Carly (born 3/17/11)

Re: Wheat sensitivity- need others feedback!

• Options

We dont have problems with wheat, so i cant speak on that, but cinnamon is a problem for Jacob. Its mild, but it does make his eczema flare up a little more and makes his masto flare up so hes itchy all over...spices are a definite allergy cause that is overlooked, imo. Spicy things are also an issue for my Jacob-DH gave him some allergy safe chips, but they were spicy and i noticed his face getting pink and swelly, so watch out for things like that too! :(

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is interesting.  I know wheat can cause dermatitis herpetiformis, which sounds like what you are describing.  However, my mother reacts that way to cinnamon these days, since cutting out wheat oddly enough.  I would check the ingredients in the two different cheerios you've given her and see what else they have in common, then try those.  When testing for food allergies through elimination diets, it's important to test each food in it's purest form (whole milk for dairy, cocoa powder for chocolate, etc).  If you're testing wheat again, try cream of wheat made with just water, so other flavorings, and see if she has the same reaction.  I'd also seek the help of a nutritionist who specializes in food allergies. Good luck!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks- that's a good idea with cream of wheat to see if she reacts to that.  She had a reaction to gluten-free Rice Krispies the other day and I was thinking rice may be a trigger.  Maybe trying pure rice would work for testing that, too.  It's very obvious when she obviously reacts to a food and I know to avoid that food but it would be nice to know what the trigger is in the food.  I also can't seem to get her face to stop breaking out and have no idea if something else is doing that!  Good idea about a nutritionst, too- thanks!
    Stephanie (Mom of 3 girls, Autumn (7), Shelby (5), and Carly (born 3/17/11)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"