Health & Exercise
Options

Running pace while pregnant

Hi ladies,

I am 30 wks pregnant and still running (ran until 33 wks with my first pregnancy).  Pre-pregnancy, I would jog at 6.5 mph for several miles, but now, I am having a significant amount of trouble going any faster than 5.5 mph for only 3 miles.  I really don't care and am glad I am able to still jog at all, but wanted to see if any of you runners experienced the same thing in terms of pace decline.  It makes sense given the fact that I am carrying almost an extra 20 pounds...

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Running pace while pregnant

• Options
    I am running 11-12 minute miles lately. My easy pace pre pregnancy was around 8 minute miles. I have slowed down a ton in the last month especially. The 3rd trimester is kicking my butt ;)
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    One of my good girlfriends/running buddies is pregnant too and she has been running 3 minutes/walking 1 minute on all our marathon group training runs. I did this with her last week and it ended up being about a 10:59 mile pace... and it felt GREAT!
    BFP#1 5/1/11 m/c 07/8/11 ?BFP#2 11/10/11 EDD 7/20/12? BabyFruit Ticker spauldingtime
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My pre-pregnancy pace was very similar to yours - I ran outside, so I don't know a mph, but I ran about a 9:15 minute mile.  And I slowed down substantially through the pregnancy.  I did a 5k at 28 weeks pregnant and was up to a 13 minute mile.  I continued to get slower as the pregnancy progressed.

But I was able to run through the entire pregnancy up until the day I was induced.  And I started running at  3 weeks postpartum and started right up again at 13 minute mile.  3 weeks later and I'm at a 10:30 minute mile.  I'm hoping to be back to my pre-pregnancy pace in another week or two.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I noticed I lost about a minute a mile per trimester.  Pre-pregnancy, I ran about 8 min to 8:30 miles, in the first tri I run 9 min to about 9:30 miles, 2nd tri I ran 10 min to 10:30 miles, and 3rd tri I ran about 11 min to 11:30 minute miles (if you can call that running!).  I usually ran 4-6 miles at a time, although after about 33 weeks the longest I ran was 4 miles.  Also, after my first pregancy, I had more PRs than I ever have -- I really think running with the extra weight is good training!  I'm hoping I get even faster after this pregnancy! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sadly, my pace has slowed down already.  I use to be able to go out and run 5-6 miles at 7:30-7:45 pace but now I am hovering around 8:15-8:30's outside and 8:40-9:00 when on the treadmill.  yes, I run slower on the treadmill.  Not sure why, but I find it harder.

I am eager to see what time I can put up next week when I run the 10K turkey trot. I am not going to "race" it but I do plan to push the pace a bit.

My Running Blog!

2012: Running & Race Accomplishments:

2-12-12: Riverview Winter Fest 4 mile, 34:59 8:45 pace - 23 weeks pregnant
    2-29-12: Leap Year 4 mile, 36:45 9:11 pace - 25.5 weeks pregnant
    3-11-12: Corktown 5K, 28:33 9:13 pace - 27 weeks pregnant
    3-25-12: Rock CF Island Half Marathon, 2:11:03 10:00 pace - 29 weeks pregnant
    4-16-12 Boston Marathon, deferring to 2013
    8-11-12: Run thru Hell 10 mile or 4.8 mile
    9-30-12: Brooksie Way Half Marathon
    10-21-12: Grand Rapids Marathon
    11-22-12: Detroit Turkey Trot 10K

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My pace has been slower on a treadmill too! I have been "running" races this whole time. I ran a half at 22 weeks, a 10k at 30 weeks and several 5k's mixed in. I will run one last race a Turkey Trot at 36+ weeks. My pace was anywhere from 7:35-8:15 depending on race length. Now, every race since my half has been a 10 min pace. My worst race was a 5k at 33 weeks 10:30 pace! But, I was pushing a stroller. I am starting to get really heavy too. I am not expecting much from the Turkey Trot. At least I am still running. Oh and on the treadmill, I run anywhere from a 5.3 - 6.0 slow........Sometimes I will throw in a couple 1/4 mile repeats at faster pace.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm only at 15 weeks and have already slowed by about 1:30 per mile.  However, I want to thank all of you third tri ladies for posting.  I don't care if I am running over 13 min miles I just hope to be running at 30+ weeks.  Would love to compete in a half in Feb/March because I have ran a half marathon every year for the past 4 years in March but I will already be in third tri.  What do you think? Doable or too much?
  • Options

I ran up until 35 weeks with DS.  My non-pregnancy pace was between 6:20-7:15 minute miles depending on the length and course.  At the beginning of pregnancy, I was able to maintain 7:30s easily.  About 25weeks along I was up to 8-8:30s and by 34 weeks or so, I was up to 9 min/miles.

It's completely normal to lose pace.  Be assured that it comes back quickly.  I did a 4 mile race when DS was 2.5 months and did it at a 7:15 pace.  I've been back to my pre-pg pace now for 6 months.

• Options

I was almost immediately slower. My long run pace was around 8:40 per mile before pregnancy. Now I hover around 9:30 for almost every run. And even slower than 9:30 on the treadmill like Daisysle.

I'm just happy that I am still running. I don't think I have much time left with twins unfortunately. Hoping to make it through December at least.

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

• Options

imageten17:
    I'm only at 15 weeks and have already slowed by about 1:30 per mile.  However, I want to thank all of you third tri ladies for posting.  I don't care if I am running over 13 min miles I just hope to be running at 30+ weeks.  Would love to compete in a half in Feb/March because I have ran a half marathon every year for the past 4 years in March but I will already be in third tri.  What do you think? Doable or too much?

As far as running a half during your 3 trimester, I think it all depends on your pregnancy. I was only 22 weeks when I ran mine and I felt really good. At that point I had not gained any weight. 5 weeks later I was up 10lbs and I really don't think I could have ran without walking some. Now, at almost 36 weeks there is NO way I could do it!  My past few races I have signed up the week before because I just never know how I am going to feel. 

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i'm 35w1d and running 2-3 miles/day 4x/week. my pace has slowed WAY down. i was at about a 10:00 mile, now i'm between 12 and 12:30. it's disheartening, but i'm still thrilled i'm out there.

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    Sounds like me although I think my pace slowed in the mid 2nd tri.  I only ran until ~30 wks when it became too uncomfortable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ahh, thanks for this post!

I am a runner coming off my best year of running (PR's at all distances) and now am pregnant for the first time.

During 1st trimester, I only slowed down a little. Some days, I felt great and ran at close to my old pace, some were a lot slower (pre-pregnacy normal everyday pace was between 7:30-8:30 min miles and putting in 50 mile weeks). I would say by the end of 1st trimester, I slowed down to around 9:00-9:30 pace and cut my mileage to 25-30 miles per week.

Now I'm 23 weeks and the past few weeks have had to slow again (between the 10:00-11:00 min range) and doing  20-25 miles per week. It is frustrating but at the same time, feels good still to be able to run.

• Options
    My pace for 1-3 miles improved from 7.5 to 8.0 or better from weeks 12-22.  Then the August humidity and an increased work demand hit me and I dropped back to 7.0 overground (according to the gps app I have) and 7.5 on the treadmill.  Now after 2 ab strains (34 weeks and 37 weeks), I have officially changed from occasional cross training on the elliptical to my main cardio.  If the weather weren't so bad around me lately (>12 mph winds and/or raining) then I'd be riding my bike outside also though.
    AL BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aren't you afraid that the baby will just fall out?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"