Stay at Home Moms
Options

Pico De Gallo?

I am going to try and make this to go in our tacos tonight for dinner.  I'm sick of the plain old tacos!

This is what I bought to make it- roma tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalepeno pepper (will probably just use a small amount- we don't like very spicy stuff). 

I have found recipes that include minced fresh garlic and some have garlic powder, salt and pepper as well.  Would you add these?

Also, just noticed the recipes I'm finding call for red onion and I have white.  I'm sure it won't make that big off a difference right?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Pico De Gallo?

• Options
    I always make mine with white onion, that will be fine. Also yes, I would add garlic or garlic powder for sure. Another way I like to spice up plain tacos is guacamole...if you like avocado. I dice up tomato, onion, a tiny bit of jalapeno, or sometimes just used pickled jalapeno, a little cilantro, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lime juice, and about a tablespoon of sour cream. This makes a really creamy and delicious addition to tacos! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday           <a href=Image and video hosting by TinyPicQuit talking about me on The Bump! Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I use the Pioneer Woman's recipe, which calls for the ingredients that you bought, and it's usually very good.  I use white onions rather than red and it turns out alright.  I am sure garlic would be good, but I haven't tried adding it. I do add a little salt though. I'm sure it will be delicious!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The red vs white onion doesnt make much difference although I always use red.  Garlic, black pepper definitely.  Add Cumin to taste also.  I use a little Tapatio or Tobasco it doesnt make it too spicy but does give it some flavor.  Instead of regular salt you could use lime salt.  I just taste and add as I go.  Remember the flavor will get better after it sits for a few hours.  I usually use more cilantro than normal.  You could also add a fresh avacado.  If you do add a bit more lime juice.  It will keep the avacado from turning brown.   YUMMY!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just a note...We dont do tacos anymore...its taco salad.  I add green chilies to my taco meat, Green onion, cheese, refried beans, radishes, pico de gallo, DH does sour cream and and believe it or not I do 1,000 Island dressing.  I have done the dressing on regular tacos too.  Try it...you wont want to eat it any other way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mmmm.  Now I want Pico De Gallo.
  • Options
    From TX, I like to think I know pico de gallo - honestly it is one of my favorite things.  I prefer it without garlic (& I'm a garlic lover - just not in pico)

tomatoes, yellow or white onion, cilantro, jalepeno, lime juice optional
  • Options

I think the kind of onions you use does make a difference.  Red onions are fairly sweet.  Some varieties of white onions are sweet also, but if you just bought basic white onions, you're probably not going to want to use as much and you may want to add just the tiniest pinch of sugar.

Sounds like a great meal!

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options

DH always uses white onion, cilantro, serrano peppers, and tomatillos.  He also mixes romas with "regular" tomatoes, 3/1 ratio.  He has never used garlic or garlic powder.  He's got his recipe down to a science :)  I love pico!

Succes after IF - DXN PCOS 2008 Surpise BFP 7/2009 Baby B was born 2/2010 Baby A is on her way; surprise! Due 2/2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Ok, pico is made!  I did add the garlic powder and some minced garlic.  I needed more of that flavor along with salt to make it more savory, I guess?

I also only added 1/4 of a jalepeno- I am SUCH a wimp when it comes to spicy foods and DH cann't tolerate them at all so I am probably the only one who is going to be eating it!  I also just bit my thumbnail and it just about burned my lips- I am guessing it is from cutting the jalepeno!  haha!

That is fine though because it has given me a great idea for DD's birthday party.  I think I am going to do pico with tortilla chips as one of my foods!

Thanks guys for the ideas!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"