Stay at Home Moms
Options

f/u to grocery list post~does anyone else not really meal plan?

I have tried in the past (remember my "month of meals" posts over the summer???), but I just can't do it.  If I plan all of our meals for the week on say Sunday, then by Tuesday we have something come up, or we just don't feel like eating what we've planned, then the whole week unravels.  It just doesn't work for us.  I've decided to come to terms with it.  

Does anyone else not meal plan and feel okay about it?  All the talk about how meal planning saves money makes me feel like I'm wasting money, but honestly, maybe it's worth it.  I'm a foodie, and I love to make what I feel like eating at the time, and if we really feel like take out, then I like that option, too.  

I do try to have at least 1-2 meat options available in the fridge or freezer for the week, and thaw it a day ahead of time if I decide I want to use it the next day.  But that's about the extent of my planning.  We had a delicious corn chowder in bread bowls tonight because it's what the Pioneer Woman blogged about, and it looked yummy this morning when I read about it.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!

Re: f/u to grocery list post~does anyone else not really meal plan?

• Options

honestly pup- you showed me how GREAT it was to meal plan for the entire month and HOW MUCH EASIER it was. (at least for me)

What i do it just plan a bunch of meals- I repeat4-6 of t hem and just pick and choose each Sunday when I make my grocery list for the upcoming week (by what is on sale)

Soooo much easier. But that is me.

I was finishing up my monthly meal plan this morning.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Nope. I don't really food plan.  Our meals usually consist of a meat, 1-2 veggies, salad or rice/potato.  So that's what I keep in the house.  I have a pretty structured list of what I buy each week and I know exactly how long it takes us to go through a pint of strawberries or a couple heads of broccoli.  

I think the danger for many people in not meal planning is that they end up not using what they buy and it goes to waste.   But honestly, I rarely throw food out and we don't really do left overs.  I'm more like you and keep a variety of things in the freezer and just plan from there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't meal plan necessarily.  I make a loose list of main courses that we'll make and make sure I have things on hand.  I don't do it where it's x on monday, y on tuesday, etc. because it just doesn't work for us.  I also make sure to have a couple super simple things like Trader Joe's orange chicken on hand in case I don't plan early enough in the day.  Lots of times the ground beef that was designated for tacos ends up being meatballs, or whatever, but it works for us.  I just can't stick to a plan like that because if something isn't sounding good for dinner, I won't eat it just because it's what the list says we should be having that day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I feel like I'm kind of sputtering to a start with meal planning (if that makes any sense at all). What I mean is, I never used to and now I'm trying to, but half the time I lose focus on day 3, like you said.

I usually make things in large amounts and freeze a lot of it. I actually only end up cooking something new 2-3 nights per week. 

Pinterest has helped a lot in terms of getting me to make new and delicious things. In terms of me eating healthy, well, that's another story... Why does everyone (myself included) only pin the cheesiest fattest greasiest looking things?? I need good recipes that are good for you. :( 

• Options
    I also should add that I think we throw out more food when I do meal plan because I won't cook something if it isn't sounding good, so whatever produce was designated for that just sits there.  We rarely throw food out when not meal planning.
  • Options

imageEveryNameIWantIsTaken:
    I also should add that I think we throw out more food when I do meal plan because I won't cook something if it isn't sounding good, so whatever produce was designated for that just sits there.  We rarely throw food out when not meal planning.

This. I wasted more food and spent more money when I planned meals. I would put too much pressure on myself to get creative and try new things and would end up buying stuff that I never wanted to use again.

I don't meal plan anymore. I have about 12 things that I make regularly and I just rotate them from week to week. It works for me because my kids get used to eating the same stuff and my DH likes it because he's a creature of habit and doesn't really care about trying new things. My grocery list is pretty much the same almost every week.

• Options
    I don't stick to it really strictly either.  I also kinda make what I crave and I have a pretty good stock of staple type foods that I can make what I like when I like it.  Before I go grocery shopping for the week I just think ahead about what we haven't had for awhile and ask DH if there's anything in particular he would like.  The rest of the week I pretty much wing it =)
  • Options
    I wasnt much of a meal planner but I have been incredibly happy with E-Meals! I signed up for the Walmart meals for 2 (you have the option of what store, dietary need and how many servings) and it only gives 5 meals which works out perfectly so we have the flexibility to do whatever else for a couple of meals. You never have to come up with something new and exciting, it really keeps you on budget and it is so easy with the ready made grocery list.
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am very similar to you babypup.  I try really hard but I don't stick to the plan well.  But I keep trying.  I need to find something that works.  Our grocery budget is massive and is only going to get bigger.  I have to do something and feel like being more organized about what I cook will help.  If I could reduce it by say 20% that would save us quite a bit.

That being said, like you, I like to go on whims occasionally when I really feel like eating/cooking something.  And also things change or we do or do not eat leftovers.  I dunno, I guess we're just not that disciplined when it comes to eating/cooking.  Something else to work on... :) 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't meal plan except when camping.  I just buy what we eat and wing it.  I also use Dinners Done Right.  They have a rotating monthly menu of 12-14 items.  We purchase the family plan of 12 meals (we choose which meals we want) that feed 4-6 and then spend an hour or two assembling the meals into zip lock freezer bags.  Right now I split the meals as I make them so I end up with 22-24 smaller meals (some meals can't be split in half) that feed us for a month or more.  The best part is the cooking instructions are on the label so Hubby can cook for himself if I'm gone for the eveing. 
  • Options
    I understand what you are going through..my motivation has been how little we spend on food now. In the past we'd spend $50 on groceries and by Thursday we'd be eating out and spending twice that much...then throwing food away. I try to base my menu on the sale ad the week before..Like this week pork chops were cheap so I have two recipes this week using them. Some days I switch things around but it's amazing how many great meals you can make with a few simple ingredients.  
    IMG_7454 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I do every week, but I budget in leftovers days and have no problem if I need to change things up.  I rarely waste food, but sometimes things do get thrown in the freezer for the next week. 

I just couldn't handle the stress of waking up every morning and having to decide what to make that day.  I don't meal plan because it is cost saving (although that is a plus), but for my own sanity.

I am also a foodie.  If I read a new recipe I want to make, I just put it on the list for the next week. However, I do have to say that I am limited right now on how creative I can be because I live with a toddler who is picky and a husband who is allergic to all fish. :( 

Planning meals a month in advance would not work for me.   Sounds like you have found a system that works for you and that is really all that matters. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    imageStacyc625:

honestly pup- you showed me how GREAT it was to meal plan for the entire month and HOW MUCH EASIER it was. (at least for me)

I agree with Stacy- thanks to you my meal planning got easier!  I spend a little more time at the beginning of the month compiling a list but once I have it I'm done for at least the month (usually I have closer to 35-40 meals and I don't cook every night).

But what works for you is good too.  If it were me I wouldn't feel like I were wasting money, etc.  It's just your preference.   

• Options
    While it's a good idea in theory to meal plan, the reality is that for us, I price shop on the proteins then have building blocks to go along with it and space it out that way since DH is such a picky eater we don't have as much waste.  I'm also one that has no issues with leftovers, DH OTOH, it'll be at least two days before he'll repeat a meal so the planning is the necessity for me...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"