Breastfeeding
Options

Pacifiers

I didn't want to use pacifiers, but feel like I dont have a choice.  My LO is little over 3weeks and constantly want to nurse.  I feel like all I do is feed, burp, and change all day long because he doesn't even take naps during the day.  He pretty much stays awake from 10am to 8pm.....sometimes take a nap around 1pm for an hour.  He sleeps mostly from 8pm to 10am with every 2 hr feeding and diaper changes.  I am starting to get sore from feeding every hour.  His pediatrician said that I should introduce pacifiers between feedings so that I can feed him every 2 hrs. I want to keep pacifier use to minimum.

For those who use pacifier, when did you start?  Did it effect your BF?  How often you use them?  Is the pacifier constantly attached to LO?  When were you able to stop use of pacifiers?  TIA

BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pacifiers

• Options
    We started at 2 days.  Yes, I know, you're supposed to wait, but DD had to be taken to the nursery to be stripped down and put under the bili-lights and it just seemed mean to me to not give her some sort of comfort.  She really didn't take to it at that point though.  At about three months she started wanting it.  Now we use it to help her go to sleep or calm her if nothing else will work.  It's not constantly attached (unless we're going out and we tether it to her clothes or car seat)  We had to supplement with formula for about a week after she was born and now she takes bottles at daycare.  I've never had a problem breast feeding or with nipple confusion.  When she starts to talk we'll start trying to take it away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

is your LO going through a growth spurt with the constant need to eat? we're going through our 6 week growth spurt right now (and thrush too unfortunately) and i will only give him a pacifier if he roots to nurse, sucks but doesn't swallow and falls asleep. in those cases, i'm certain he just wants to be soothed, and the paci gives my nipples a break. 

i don't offer him a pacifier at any other time bc i don't want to deny him of food if he truly is hungry again. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageel_twirpo:

is your LO going through a growth spurt with the constant need to eat? we're going through our 6 week growth spurt right now (and thrush too unfortunately) and i will only give him a pacifier if he roots to nurse, sucks but doesn't swallow and falls asleep. in those cases, i'm certain he just wants to be soothed, and the paci gives my nipples a break. 

i don't offer him a pacifier at any other time bc i don't want to deny him of food if he truly is hungry again. 

I think he may be going through a growth spurt. I do feed him when I see signs of hunger which is pretty much every hour and half.  when I gave him the paci today, he pretty much fell sleep. 

BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MH didn't want to use pacifiers b/c he was worried about nipple confusion.  I was leery of using them but unwilling to just plop my baby on my boob all day and two of my sisters used them with no problem.  DS was really fussy in the hospital so we used them there and ever since.  He's had no problem and I have no supply issue.  As it is, he's not addicted to the paci.  It is a good comfort tool for car rides and when he's falling asleep but he usu spits it out when he's too tired and doesn't cry for it after.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"