Parenting
Options

Bummed :(

My daughter has had a cold for a week, I THOUGHT it was getting done with. Seemed lots better. Last night @ 10pm she started crying in her sleep, then woke up saying her ear hurt "so bad" (she's 5 and she's never woken from an ear ache- she's only had 3 ever, but 2 of those being within the past month- ugh).

Woke up this AM and said it still hurt, so we took her to the DR. DR said "usually eat infections are pink in the ear, hers is flaming red" ugh ugh. Poor kid. Put her on antibiotics and I've given her ibu for pain (which is working, she said it doesn't hurt now at all).

Why am I more bummed? These things always happen @ bad times! Halloween, really? She has to skip trick or treating, and I'm bummed. SHE is not bummed. DH and I went to store and bought a bunch of her favorite candies and a small gift, put them in her trick or treating pail.. so she's set.  But, I'm still bummed she can't go out. More bummed than her!

I'm also sick of the sick! She's been sick FIVE times since she started Kindergarten- she's already missed 5 days of school. (fever, ear aches, etc)..she went from getting sick 1x a year, to 5 times in 2 months. It sucks.

:( 

E+C
(+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
TTC

Re: Bummed :(

• Options

Why does have to skip Halloween? For an ear infection? 

I would let her rest and see how she feels later. 

Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • Options
    because the weather here is very crappy.. snow on ground, very very cold and kinda windy. I just don't want her out in it.. she was complaining when we were just walking to the DR's from parking lot that the wind was hurting (and I had a hat on her).. just not something I'm willing to risk her pain for.
    E+C
    TTC
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageRebekah1021:

Why does have to skip Halloween? For an ear infection? 

I would let her rest and see how she feels later. 

Ditto.

• Options
    I agree with the pp.  I'd give her the antibiotics and some rest and see what she wants to do tonight.  At her age, she can tell you how she's feeling.  Give her some motrin too before you go and that'll help if it still hurts a little.  I know my kids would flip if I suggested missing Trick or Treating for an ear infection...well, if I suggested missing trick or treating for anything really.
  • Options

She might feel better later. Even if you hit three houses, kwim? But if she's happy not going out, maybe she'd have fun handing out candy?

• Options

::shrugs:: I guess I'm the bad mama of the group :)
    I'm just not willing to risk making her ear worse for candy. The DR. said it's a very bad one.. I kept her out of school. I don't feel she should be in the wind tonight. It's sooo cold here. She's fine with it.  Like I said, I filled her bucket with her favorite candies.. and she's still gonna dress up.  She's gonna help us pass out candy.  To boot- she went and did "trunk or treat" with my parents yesterday, at their church.  So, she did get to do some.

I was just bummed, that's all. I'm not allowing her to risk pain or making things worse... if that makes me horrible, I accept the title :) 

E+C
    TTC
  • Options
    Ditto. Antibx work fast on ear infections IME. Some advil, a hat... And let her decide if she wants to TorT. The cold weather won't make her sicker and she's not contagious. If she's miserable you can come home after one house!
  • Options
    A couple years ago DD was sick on Halloween.  We bought some candy (b/c we don't get Trick or Treaters at our house).  Had the kids knock on various doors around the house and we did Trick or Treating that way, the kids thought it was pretty cool :).
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Options
    I would put some cotton in her ear & go to a few houses.  She is not contagious so I would not have a problem as long as she is not in pain.
  • Options
    I was recovering from pneumonia my K year and couldn't trick or treat.  I loved handing out the candy, though, and seeing everyone else's costumes.  She'll be fine missing it this year!  Hope she feels better soon.
    Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• Options
    Do you have a mall nearby? Most malls hand out candy on Halloween.
  • Options
    You may be able to find so enlace around there that has indoor trick or treating. We used to go the mall years ago, and a local library is hosting one this year.
  • Options
    Why does she have to miss Treat or Treating due to an ear infection?  If she started on meds this morning and otherwise feels fine, I would have still taken her out.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Why does she have to miss Treat or Treating due to an ear infection? If she started on meds this morning and otherwise feels fine, I would have still taken her out.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"