Multiples
Options

? Re. Transition from alimentum/nutramigen to WCM

We are going to start transitioning DS to whole milk from Similac Alimentum this week.  I'm a little nervous about it because we tried switching him to regular formula a couple of times and it didn't go very well. I'm curious how the transition went for other MoMs with LO's on this formula.  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ? Re. Transition from alimentum/nutramigen to WCM

• Options
    We did it very slowly. The transition took about 2-3 weeks, but they did great. We started with doing 1oz WCM, then the rest allimentum. Every few days we would up the WCM by 1 oz. If we saw they were getting sick or really gassy we would wait to add another ounce (couple extra days). Good luck. If WCM doesn't work you should look into soy.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagekatsblaze:
    We did it very slowly. The transition took about 2-3 weeks, but they did great. We started with doing 1oz WCM, then the rest allimentum. Every few days we would up the WCM by 1 oz. If we saw they were getting sick or really gassy we would wait to add another ounce (couple extra days). Good luck. If WCM doesn't work you should look into soy.  

My LO was on nutramigen... we did this exactly, but w/ gentlease when she was around 9 months... it took about 2 weeks... then we weaned her from gentle ease to whole milk pretty easily over about a week when she turned 1.

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kids went from nutramigen to WCM and it surprised me by how well they did. I was sure we'd have issues since finding a formula they'd take was such a PITA. But my kids acted like they didn't notice the difference. @ 11 months (per my pedi) we started w/ 3/4 nutramigen, 1/4 WCM and every 1.5wks upped the milk another quarter of the bottle, so by 1 yr they were on all WCM. good luck!!
  • Options

Our pedi GI said to not transition, to just switch over - the reason for this being if they have a sensitivity or allergy to dairy/milk protein, the 'level' can take a bit to build up and show symptoms.  So, if you do a gradual switch-over you can see symptoms much later, and often confuse them with a reaction to something else.

With that said, we had two different issues going on at our house.  One had a milk protein/soy allergy - so we followed the GI's suggestion and just switched, and at 1 year it all went just fine.  The benefit was that we would know quickly (within a couple hours) if there was a problem.  My other DD had a sensitivity, and was showing herself to be a pickier eater - for that reason we did a more gradual transition for her (ie mixing WCM and her soy formula) over the course of a week.  It also went fine with her, and she may have with an immediate switch-over too - but I wasn't willing to chance her not taking to milk.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"