April 2011 Moms

Rolling and crib slats

Last week LO finally started rolling. Last night, he began practicing in his crib. Now I'm worried that he'll get an arm or leg stuck between the slats (note, the crib was bought new for this LO; the slats are the recommended spacing). Would you/did you put in a bumper for this reason?

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16

Re: Rolling and crib slats

• I use to worry about this too but as of now I haven't had any problem with DD getting her arms or legs stuck in the crib.  We have no bumper currently.  If it eventually becomes a problem, I am planning on getting a breathable bumper. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd say put the bumper in.  DS rolls all over the place now.  We end up finding him in really weird poses when we get him in the morning, like completely smooshed against one end of the crib in a complete 270 degree turn from where we left him.  The boy can not stay still.  If we didn't have the bumpers, we'd be in there every 5 minutes trying to free him from the slats since he's one of the nosiest kids there is, trying to reach heaven knows what on the other side.
    DSC_0424 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since January 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • I've got the breathable mesh bumper on Beaker's crib.  Even before she could fully roll over she was spinning around and getting arms and legs stuck between the slats.
    imageimageimage
  • My pedi doesn't recommend even the breathables because they could be a strangulation risk. We never put one in. We dealt with a few shrieks when DS got stuck, but he has since learned how to get his arms in and out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had to stop swaddling DD at 11 weeks because she was flipping over in the swaddle. That said - she moves around a lot in her crib and has been doing so for quite some time. She has never gotten stuck between the slats. She occasionally sticks a foot through but always pulls it back in uneventfully. I was very worried at first but there was no need to be. She can now aim for the slats and puts her feet on them to push against for fun.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageScout2005:
    Breathable bumpers. I really like them. They keep limbs from getting stuck, but they really are breathable (I tested them. Extensively. No, there is no photographic proof, I threatened bodily harm to my husband if he took photos of me stretching a bumper across my face and breathing into it.)

the fact that you put it across your face isn't so bad...i was picturing you in the crib with your face against the slats! hahaha that'd be good........ 

• Ive had a bumper in since my son was born and i love it there bc he does get his arms n legs stuck in between without one
  • I just put DS in a sleepsack at night. During his naps, he hasn't really had any problems with his arms and legs getting stuck as he's gotten better at rolling.
  • Thanks for the input everyone!  I love that I can count on you guys to answer all my questions!

I realized that DH would cry if he got stuck and was uncomfortable, and I sleep really lightly so any fussing would wake me, so I feel much better now. I'm going to forgo the bumper. 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Ds never got stuck in the slats.  Never. Not once.  The first time dd started rolling she was stuck.  We bought a breathable bumber and haven't looked back. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagevanfox:
    I just put DS in a sleepsack at night. During his naps, he hasn't really had any problems with his arms and legs getting stuck as he's gotten better at rolling.

This.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"