Special Needs
Options

teaching sign language ?

My son is starting speech therapy in a few weeks, along with meeting with a special needs preschool teacher once a week in our home. He is hearing, but is developmentally delayed with speech along with some other things.

As by the recommendation of the speech therapist, we are starting to teach DS sign language. If you have taught or a teaching your child, how long did it take for them to pick up on the words you're teaching them? I bought a book from B&N on baby sign language that has about 100 signs and we've picked out 3 to start with.

DS has only one word that he does say which is "yeah" and he will sign "more please" and "all done"

Thanks for any advice/stories/etc!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: teaching sign language ?

• Options

I highly recommend the Signing Time DVDs.  My SN son and typically developing one picked up things quite quickly with them.  They are all themed, so you can pick out what ones would be important in your life. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I strongly recommend the Signing Time videos.  You may be able to borrow them from your local library.  My kiddo, also developmentally delayed, knew 100 signs before he said 10 words.   It made such a big difference in our lives, we now regularly donate to the Signing Time Foundation.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJenGK:

I highly recommend the Signing Time DVDs.  My SN son and typically developing one picked up things quite quickly with them.  They are all themed, so you can pick out what ones would be important in your life. 

Quinn is getting these for Christmas from my family!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We just borrowed the first Signing Time dvd from the library this weekend.  Ruby has watched it once and was already imitating some of the signs. 

I also record the Signing times show that's on TV.  You can check and see if it's on in your area. 

• Options
    Wow! Thank you SO much for the recommendation! I am going to head to the library tomorrow just to find them! Thank you!!!
  • Options
    My DD is globally delayed and teaching her sign language has been incredibly helpful. "Eat" is our favorite sign. She's able to ask for what she wants, tell us if her teeth are hurting and ask for specific toys to play with. Life is less frustrating when you can communicate needs. 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Options

The Signing Time videos were a miss for us.  I just learned a couple signs a week and practiced with him.  I highly recommend this site, free and easy to use.

https://aslbrowser.commtechlab.msu.edu/browser.htm

• Options
    We use siting time DVDs and both of our kids LOVE them. I started turning them on during our morni bed snuggle when ds1 was like 3 months and I think he was signing for milk around 7 months. It seemed like we just kept signing and nothing happened and we felt like it was useless and then all the sudden- pow! He loved it and before long had about fifty signs. He is three yrs and has over a hundred now.

We have also since purchased the whole box set and they get requested as often as any other DVD. They also teach speech at th same time since they say the word, do the action/show the item, and give the sign. We had no idea when wee started that ds would have a language delay and be PDD-NOS, the therapists told us it was extremely lucky that we taught him sign and moved his treatment along much faster than if we hadn't. Ds2 at six months already loves watching it and just giggles and tries to work his hands when he sees it. I also have a pretty sizable sign vocal all from the DVDs (well I knew a little from high school) also I got a phone app that will translate for you. Gl

• Options
    Looks like we aren't the only ones to love signing times:). Dh was tickled bc yesterday he was at a festival with ds and when it was time for ds to come out of a loud bouncy house he was able to sign to him that it was time to get food and milk and ds signed back to him that he wanted milk and came right on out instead of dh chasing him around and shouting over the kids. He thought it was really cool.
  • Options
    Correction. I checked his baby book and ds was signing milk at 6 months. We started with one sign and added more as we all learned them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"