Health & Exercise
Options

Morning Sickness Remedies

I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant, between 5 and 13 weeks I had experienced a really bad case of 24/7 "morning" sickness. 

I wanted to offer some suggestions as far as what helped me, and I hope they work for anyone else who is experiencing this. Somethings worked at times, but not always....I'll try to explain some of them best as I can...

Not in any particular order, I'll write as much as I can...

1. Prenatals, taken at night. The B vitamins and folic acid help. 

2. Ice chips.  

3. Ginger ale, light carbonated drinks. (Dark aren't as good for you, but my doctor advised me that I could drink any type of soda...as long as there was a lot of ice...but always check  with your doctor first)

4. Preggy pops. (***They don't take the nausea away for a long period of time, but they came in handy while I was working at a doctors office...the smell of latex gloves and some of the older patients would have me SO sick.)  

5. Hot tea. (In the beginning of pregnancy, especially. They have Special blends made for "queasy tummies" at baby's r us, mint teas, lemon and ginger  teas. My mom at one point had made me all natural from scratch lemon ginger tea, with lemon juice, grated ginger, in boiled water.) 

6. Iced tea. For me, later on, it has worked wonders. I still cannot stomach water, so this is almost as close as I get to a cold beverage, because I can't stand ginger ale anymore....and ginger ale has a LOT of calories.

7. Saltines. (***What worked better for me, was to suck on a pretzel stick in the morning, or at any time i felt queasy)

8. Toast, if you can handle butter, go for it.

9. Avoid unpleasant smells. (***My boyfriend smokes, this attributed to a lot of my nausea)

10. If you can stomach something, eat it...often, until you find more of a variety. 

11. Carbs!! Crackers, pretzels, plain breads (whole wheat is much better), bagels, and plain waffles, and RICE. They soak up the stomach acids that may be in excess due to body changes and hormones.

12. Listen to your cravings. (***Just based on the thought of something, my body would tell me if I could handle it or not....hopefully you are as in tune with your body and what it would like. I am normally a vegetarian, but one of the only things I can stomach and crave is red meat. Go figure =/ ) 

13. Try to keep your stress level down. (***seems like common sense, or like yeah sure....how can I possibly do that? But it is very important. Meditate, have some quiet time, listen to calm music. I would put on the Christian station and just relax to those songs, and my nausea would go away...not all the time...but hey...sometimes is better than never.)

14. Sleep. (Try to get as much as possible)

15. Try to eat small portions throughout the day, a hungry tummy is more upset than a full one.

16. Smell something lemon scented, or with citrus. (***cutting a fresh lemon open sometimes really helps....I got lemon scented chapstick. Worked like a charm =) )

Ok, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. There are medications for the more severe cases, but if you are anything like me, then your goal is to not be on any of these unnatural meds. Try anything you can before resorting to that, and always talk to your doctor about this. That's what they are there for.  

Also remember, that for most of us, morning sickness clears up around the 4th month/2nd trimester. The stomach acids aren't going to act up as much, and hopefully you will have a better eating/drinking pattern.

I know how scary it can be. I had lost weight in the beginning of my pregnancy, and there would be a week at a time where I would not be able to eat or hold anything down. Because of my prenatal vitamins and trial an error, although I was losing weight the baby gained. The baby will take what it needs from you, so try not to stress! Hope this helps someone out there <3

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Morning Sickness Remedies

• Options
    Thank you, I am so frustrated with this all day sickness. Nothing seems to really help. Even zofran isn't that great:( I just can't wait till  the first trimester is over so I can enjoy life again. My other to pregs were worse in the beginning too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"