Pre-School and Daycare

What does your preschooler drink at lunch?

DD's preschool goes until 12:30 and they eat lunch there.  I have been sending the Horizon Organic 1% milk and the teacher says they have to really encourage her to drink it.  At home she will down her milk right away if we let her, never do we have to encourage her to drink it.  DD said it tastes bad when I asked her, I wonder if this is because they are not shaking it first?  The teacher asked if there was another drink I could send in, so what do you send in for lunch for your preschooler?

I would rather not send in a juice box, because I know she is getting juice at snack and don't want her to have too much.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What does your preschooler drink at lunch?

• she drinks milk w/ breakfast and lunch

She has juice or water at snack.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Water.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • milk or water - but he eats lunch at home.  But, my preschooler does choose milk at snack time too at school.  Don't get me wrong.. he loves juice.  For everyday I would not send him juice though, would send him either water (send a water bottle everyday for my Kindegartner) or milk.  Maybe it is not cold enough for her?
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • I send her a fruitables juice box.  They get milk with snack.  She drinks milk at breakfast and water with dinner.
  • I send in a water bottle with plain ol' water.

Could you send a Thermos with milk in it? That way you'd get rid of the shaking issue and it would stay cold, as long as you put an ice pack in the lunch box.

• At our school, a parent provides drinks for the entire class each day. I actually find it odd that we just don't bring our own since we send our own snack. Anyhow, I believe that most days, he gets some sort of juice box or Capri Sun. 

He gets water most of the time at home. We are still working on milk (gah).

• question have you tried the milk that you are sending to school?  Maybe it is ICKY! 
  • Water at school. They ask that we don't send our own drinks with lunch, for simplicity sake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Water.

Parents are discouraged from sending juice boxes to DD's school. DD isn't a big milk drinker and I have never sent milk to school with her.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I send these to school, usually filled with lots of ice and topped with juice/water. But I put milk in sometimes or whatever. It comes with a straw but I pulled those out. Easy to clean and last forever. And eco-friendly.  I also think the Horizon milk can taste funny.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-3117RDSPA-Litterless-Juice-Boxes/dp/B000VPBL98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319149565&sr=8-1

• Horizon milk is shelf stable without refrigeration for years, isn't it?  That has to affect the taste.  I would read between the lines of what her teachers are saying and assume most of it is going in the trash, so it's really just a waste of $.  Preschool teachers are not going to start a battle of wills with a child over food/drinks.  I'd send whatever your kid wants.  A couple of servings of juice aren't going to give your kid sugar overload, especially if you're sticking to 100% juice, or even the ones made for tots which are watered down. I like those Rubbermaid juice boxes- been searching stores for them for a month!  Guess I'll hit amazon. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I send water in a water bottle to school.  at home he has a choice of milk, water, or juice.  I like to save juice boxes for special treats.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We do the horizon boxes as well but are having the same issue as you.  I have been trying a small Mickey and Minnie thermos with milk for a few days and that seems to be going okay.  I have also been considering sending the little orange juice boxes from tropicana.  I feel like thats more nutritious than a regular juice box.  I'm working on getting her to drink them at home right now.
  • A thermos filled with milk. I fill it the night before and keep it in the fridge overnight, when he comes home at 1pm the mlk is still crisp and cold. Think the milk you are sending might not taste good by the time he drinks it.
  • They provide milk to drink for lunch.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• She likes me to mix it up, so sometimes unsweetened decaf iced tea, sometimes a juice box, or often watered down juice in a Belly Washer.
  • They only get water at school.  If she's drinking milk with breakfast and dinner you don't need to worry at all about not getting any at lunch.  I definitely wouldn't send juice either, but I'm on the juice is as bad as candy train so I'm biased Smile
  • I send those rubbermaid reuseable juice boxes someone linked. Usually with watered apple juice, sometimes water, sometimes milk. They have water with snacks.

I know my BFF freezes the horizon milk boxes to pack in her girl's lunches, she says they're defrosted by lunchtime. Might be worth testing out. If they aren't really cold they definitely taste blah.

- Jena
  • Water or Juice (he prefers water / not a big juice drinker). He loves milk but I don't send it because the thought of it sitting in his lunch bag getting warm makes me gag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Wow I had no idea juice was so evil.

My DD drinks the capri sun 100% juice pouches and she seems to be just fine. Milk in the morning and at night. 

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"