High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

couldn't keep the glucose drink down - now what?

Hi, I failed the the 1 hour glucose test. my number was 165 and the nurse said over 139 means you failed. i went in for the 3 hour test. the nurse took blood as soon as i got there. then i had to drink the glucose drink. i could only keep it down 35 minutes and then vomited all of it up. the nurse took my blood again and sent me home. she said i'll have to wait until my appt to speak to dr about what will happen next. did anyone else vomit the glucose drink? does that mean you likely have GD? Is it possible my dr will get enough info from the blood they did take to tell if I have GD or not? I'm wondering what the next steps will be and it's hard to wait to find out. If anyone can share similar experiences I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: couldn't keep the glucose drink down - now what?

• Options
    When I went in for my 3 hour test, they told me if I got sick they would send me home and I would have to come in and try it again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Talk to your doctor about any possible alternatives to the glucose drink.  I have heard (thought don't know anyone who is done it) that they can give you jelly beans or some other form of straight sugar instead of the drink.  I don't know how true this is, but I would definitely ask.  Otherwise, if you really can't keep it down, they might give you a glucometer and have you check your blood sugars for a week or so to see what kind of numbers you are getting. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only thing they could tell from the initial draw would be if your fasting numbers are high.  You could be diagnosed with GD if those are through the roof, but if not the doctor will have to do some other sort of test.  I know that the drink is completely horrible and hope you don't have to do it again!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I threw up the glucose drink for the 1 hour test when pregnant with my 1st daughter.  They told me I could either eat 30 jelly beans in 15 minutes or a king sized Snickers bar in 15 minutes.  I picked the jelly beans, which was way harder and more unpleasant than I expected.  I didn't have GD, so I wouldn't say that's what it means if you throw it up.  I am curious to see what happens with this pregnancy.  Good luck!
  • Options

Thanks everyone for your advice/info. I asked the dr if I could eat/drink any of those things instead of the glucose drink. He said no and had some lame explanation as to why that I really didn't understand. My fasting number passed and the blood they took immediately after I vomited passed too. However, he said he was just going to assume I had GD and send me to a dietician. I was really unhappy with that and really wanted a true answer if I actually have it or not so I asked if I could try the test again. He said if I vomited it once he thinks I will vomit it again but I could try if I want to. So I'm going in again on Friday to try again. Does anyone know how to keep the drink down? Maybe I drank it too fast? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I feel so upset because I'm already high risk bc of BP and a 2 vessel cord and really didn't want to have yet another thing on my high risk list. I feel like such a failure and am getting so negative =*(

• Options

They give you a set amount of time to drink it.  Use more of that time if you need it instead of chugging it.  You might want to try a different flavor if you have the option.  You could also call the lab and ask if they have any alternatives to the glucose stuff.  They may know of something your doctor doesn't.  

After you drink the stuff, just take slow, even breaths.  If you start to feel like you are going to be sick, do your absolute best to focus on staying calm, breathing slowly, and reminding yourself that you can keep it down.  If your body is going to reject the stuff, it will, so all you can do is to try and keep calm and keep it down.  If they will allow you small sips of water, that can help get any aftertaste out of your mouth.  If you have calming music or something to distract you - use it!  Watch a video on a laptop or listen to your favorite relaxing song.  Use your energy to pay attention to those things.  Once I got past the first half hour or so, my nausea really started to fade.

Good luck!   

• Options
    imagekristin172429:

They give you a set amount of time to drink it.  Use more of that time if you need it instead of chugging it.  You might want to try a different flavor if you have the option.  You could also call the lab and ask if they have any alternatives to the glucose stuff.  They may know of something your doctor doesn't.  

After you drink the stuff, just take slow, even breaths.  If you start to feel like you are going to be sick, do your absolute best to focus on staying calm, breathing slowly, and reminding yourself that you can keep it down.  If your body is going to reject the stuff, it will, so all you can do is to try and keep calm and keep it down.  If they will allow you small sips of water, that can help get any aftertaste out of your mouth.  If you have calming music or something to distract you - use it!  Watch a video on a laptop or listen to your favorite relaxing song.  Use your energy to pay attention to those things.  Once I got past the first half hour or so, my nausea really started to fade.

Good luck!   

Thanks everyone for the support! I truly appreciate it! I am happy to report that with all of  your advice I kept the drink down. I did get another flavor and it was chilled, I used all of the time they allowed me to drink it (5 minutes), I focused on the breathing and staying calm and kept telling myself I can do this! I concentrated on movies on my laptop. It was really hard especially the first hour and a half and it kept creeping up my throat but I managed to keep it down.  Also a friend of mine said laying down helped her so I asked the nurse and they did have an extra room they let me lay down in - not all the way laying down but reclined so I think gravity helped too. The nurses were so nice they even came to me to draw the blood instead of having me get up to go into the lab room. I also didn't let myself look at the time until the first two hours were over. I am so glad I kept it down. Now I will have real results on Monday afternoon to know whether or not I really have GD. (If I didn't take the test again the dr was going to assume I had it). I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks again Kristin and everyone!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Yay for you!  Were you like me and actually almost elated to have that last draw done?  So glad you were able to make it through.  Fingers-crossed for you that you passed!!

• Options
    I was elated... but now am not anymore bc I found out I failed =*(   I'm especially upset bc this is the 3rd thing to add to the high risk list (high blood pressure and a two vessel umbilical cord). I keep telling myself it could be worse to try to feel better. Well thanks still for your advice bc if I hadn't kept the drink down the dr would have just assumed I had it and maybe I wouldn't have taken it so seriously without a definite diagnosis.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"