Parenting after 35

My Bump Guilty Pleasure board

Not exactly a 20 question topic... but I admit I love to lurk on the Baby Names board!!!

Tonight there's some woman making fun of someone's kid's creatively spelled name when her OWN child is Makaia Kimberleigh-Rose. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My Bump Guilty Pleasure board

• I love it too! I love names in general, reading, you name it. Love the made up names, it's like watching the auditions on Idol or xFactor, just wait for the train wreck. I get annoyed at some of the undereducated ones though (and probably young/sheltered/unwordly) that trash legitimate names of ethnic orgins. I look things up first before I answer, but I can usually tell if a name is made up or not. We're quite the mixed bag up here.

I lurk and post on Gear too. I get a little bent out of shape about car seats and using them correctly, and about bad seats, etc. I was paranoid about this way back when, but even more so since L had his kidney transplant at age 5. His donor was 5 and killed in a car accident and let's just say his car seat failed. His mom is still a wreck about it and it's been 9 years. We found each other last year, she's a sweetheart.

• Oh I used to  lurk, and to sometimes participate there. Have not been there it in a while though. I guess I got sick of people attacking others people name choices. Seems like naming is a religion to some ... I can name my kid however I want and you may like it or not, you may laugh it, ..., but no need to yell at me and to tell me how bad choice it was. That being said, I have had good laughs there:) Maybe it is time to check on it again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I get you newbee. I agree that if you post there, and ask for opinions, be prepared to get different opinions. Sometimes I have seen the op go ballistic that "ppl r soooo ruud, u r so mean" to the other posters, and they aren't. But I have seen them be rude and inappropriate (guess they haven't learned tact yet), omg, no one is going to know how to say that, you better use an easy name!! Bah. Maybe I'll go rile them up. Or not. It is fun though!!

And the only bad choice is one that doesn't translate well into English (I went to school with a Phuc Dong, and my banker was Fanny Hung). Or it's so completely made up that nobody can guess it. Like Mylanni (apparently it's Melanie).

• imagegimmietimmies:

And the only bad choice is one that doesn't translate well into English (I went to school with a Phuc Dong, and my banker was Fanny Hung). Or it's so completely made up that nobody can guess it. Like Mylanni (apparently it's Melanie).

Yeap! That is exactly why I started posting on that board. Some of the names on the our list were Macedonian and was curious how people would pronounce them here. People were never rude to me personally. I guess I was not innovative :) 

I remember the name that was the most attacked was Jaxon! Over and over again... I really have to see what is the situation on that board now.  

• Jaxon and all it's incarnations still get flamed. It's funny, because you can sit back with a bowl of popcorn and wait for the sparks to fly. It's funny, there are few names I truly dislike. Mostly, I prefer some names over others, but hate, no. I have to say that purposely mispelling a name just to make it unique and different (cause I can hear the spelling change when you say it, y'all) drives me batty, it's like reading things on TB or IRL that have tons of spelling errors or grammatical mistakes (if I've done that anywhere in my posts, feel free to correct me). Fingernails down a chalkboard. My neice has a very unique name, and then the spelling was changed so she would be more unique. Yep. Great.

Macedonian names wouldn't throw me much. There is a huge ethnic population in my area, Eastern European, Asian, East Indian and African. I get used to asking people to pronounce or spell their names so I'm saying it right. The only one I really got stumped on was Ngozi. (en-GAWZ-ee). She schooled me in Igbo.

Now, maybe I should unleash my crazy Welsh and Gaelic name fixation. Or mythological names.

• I'm a Baby Name lurker/poster too. It's a great guilty pleasure. It's like 50% of the time I enjoy helping and giving an honest opinion. The other 50% it's a train wreck.

Edit: Jaxon is TERRIBLE! Name your child Jackson and I'll be OK with it. But yikes don't use an X. Even worse is Jaxson.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I forgot all about how much entertainment could be found on BN. I haven't been on since I was pregnant and seem to remember lots of posts talking about Isabella being a unique name and, yeah, a basquilion posts asking opinions on the en, yn, on names.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"