May 2011 Moms

sorta POLL: Pedi recommendations for solids

Today was our 4 month check up and we are starting solids. Our Pedi recommends starting with green veggies, followed by yellow veggies and then introducing fruits. This seems so different than everything I read, so what did your doctor recommend as far as starting solids. 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: sorta POLL: Pedi recommendations for solids

• My pedi recommended only cereals until 6 months, but said she didn't do cereals with her own children, just started with solids at 6 months.  I can't remember yellow or green first, but definitely both colors of veggies before fruits.  I think she said yellow first.

• Mine said to start only cereal at 5.5 months, and we would discuss moving on to purees at our 6 month appointment.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Our suggested that we can start anytime. He told us to only introduce a new food at breakfast--because that way you have the whole day to watch for a reaction. He suggested rice cereal for one week, then barley for one week, then oatmeal for one week, and then to start on veggies. After the week passes, he said we could give that food anytime, but only have the new food introduced at breakfast. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • My pedi recommends breast milk until 6 months and then adding in solids.  So we haven't yet discussed specifics.  But I've heard that rice cereal causes a lot of constipation and doesn't add much nutrition to baby's diet, so I hope to skip it too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ours said to start cereal anytime between 4-6 months and she said something like "most babies are on 3 jars of baby food a day by 6 months" or whatever.  

But I'm not planning to listen to that advice.  We will skip cereal and start with fruits and veggies.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ehh, I am skipping cereals and doing veggies and fruit probably around 5 months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours suggest cereal first and then we could try something different every 3-4 days.  She didn't give suggestions on what to start with though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My pedi recommends bm/formula to 5 months.  Then start slowly (1-2 tbsp) of cereal (I skipped this with DS). Then YELLOW veggies such as carrots, squash and sweet potatoes. 1 meal a day is plenty at this age. And this is only his advice. I usually start with sweet potatoes/squash/green beans and then try some fruits like applesauce/avocado/banana. 

I follow wholesomebabyfood.com and disregard a lot of my pedi's advice in this arena. Have you done any outside research? Just because your pedi says "solids start now" doesn't mean you need to follow that advice. Here is a link to some readiness signs that might help you

Also, remember that applesauce, bananas and rice cereal are constipating.  :)

• Our pedi started giving me the spiel on rice cereals and different kinds to start out with, but I told him we were going to do exclusively breast milk until 6 months and then start out with various fruits and veggies. We're not planning on spoon feeding purees; we're going to let DS play with different foods to explore the textures and discover them on his own.

(We will continue breastfeeding for a while after that, just introduce solids at 6 months, provided DS is sitting up well and interested in putting things into his mouth by himself.) 

• Just discussed this today with the pedi. She said we could start with rice cereal and we should stick with that until at least 6 months. Then after that, we could go to veggies. No fruit until about a year old. Interesting how every pedi is different!
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • My pedi said cereals only until 6 months, then start with peas.

He also said we can skip cereals if we prefer and just start with veggies at 6 months since the boys are still on exclusive breastmilk. This is what we plan to do.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just went for the 4 month check up but didn't see his usual pedi. This one seemed to have a personal issue with cereals. She said NOTHING other than formula until 6 months old, she said cereals are bad because babies choke on it. Very odd. Anyway,  I started giving him a tablespoon of oatmeal in his bottle about a month ago because he cried for food an hour after he ate. This has been working great for us. I tried starting  of with purees but he was not interested and he is still not interested in anything on a spoon. I was really hoping to skip "fillers" and go to purees at 6 months old but he had another plan. I am going to do what I feel is right for my child regardless of what the pedi's suggestion is.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ours said we could start rice/cereal and move on to new fruits/veggies every 3-4 days.  Eggs are okay after 6 months (no allergies in either family), no nuts/nut butters until 1 year, no cow's milk, but yogurt is okay).  DD gets mostly formula at the sitters and is EBF at home (I have minimal supply and don't respond well to the pump), so she eats 30+ ounces of formula in the 12 hrs she is there.  So, I introduce a food first at home (whole grain rice cereal, just did avocado today), and then the sitter gives it to her 1-2x during the day there.  She said to make sure the solids weren't taking over a feeding at home where she's getting mostly breastmilk, just to make it a big thing at the sitters.

We started right at 4 months, LO holds her head up well, can sit up well in the bumbo seat, and fusses when she sees us eating and smacks her little lips.  She's really loving this big girl eating!

• I just went to Caitlin's 4 month appointment yesterday. He told us to go right ahead into purees and cereal or baby oatmeal if we wanted to. To only try one thing and do it for 2 days to see if she reacts then keep doing this with each new thing. He loved that everything we are giving Caitlin is homemade so there are no preservatives so she can get the true taste. he also suggested that we give her the same food we eat of course pureed. Pretty much all the baby food I made is all the things we eat. 

Last night we tried pureed sweet potatoes and she LOVED them...

no reactions and nothing abnormal in her poop so we are going to give it to her tonight too.

Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imageLisa Frank:

My pedi recommends bm/formula to 5 months.  Then start slowly (1-2 tbsp) of cereal (I skipped this with DS). Then YELLOW veggies such as carrots, squash and sweet potatoes. 1 meal a day is plenty at this age. And this is only his advice. I usually start with sweet potatoes/squash/green beans and then try some fruits like applesauce/avocado/banana. 

I follow wholesomebabyfood.com and disregard a lot of my pedi's advice in this arena. Have you done any outside research? Just because your pedi says "solids start now" doesn't mean you need to follow that advice. Here is a link to some readiness signs that might help you

Also, remember that applesauce, bananas and rice cereal are constipating.  :)

Basically doing the same. They have a lifetime of eating and if they are getting BM or formula one meal a day is plenty.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"