November 2011 Moms
Options

Is a changing pad necessary?

My husband has kind of raised his eyebrows over a few of my so-called "necessities" that I have purchased for baby. My mom insists that I don't need a changing pad (I didn't buy a changing table, but I could put the pad on top of the dresser). At first I waved her off because she can be pretty conservative on needs and wants, but now I am just wondering, is it a necessity? When I babysit, I don't take the baby to their room to change them on the pad...I just do it on the floor. Maybe it would be nice during the newborn stage though? Just looking for thoughts and opinions! Thanks!

Re: Is a changing pad necessary?

• Options
    Many people don't use them.  However, I like ours.  DS is 2 and it is easier to change him on the changing table, IMO.  I will sometimes change him on the floor, but I find it to be much easier on my back to stand (I'm almost 7 mos pg, but thought this when I was not pg, too).
  • Options
    The only reason I have one is that it's required by my state to do daycare. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had one passed on to us.  I don't foresee using it every time, but I can certainly see using it during the middle of the night changings.
  • Options

I'm certain you could get by with out it, I'm just not sure why you'd want to.  It's a nice thing to have.  An elevated surface to change the baby on was nice when he was a new born, it's amazingly nice now because he's at a convenient height to get him dressed or get him into his pajamas and, being on top of a table, he can't run away half way through the project.  Good luck with your 2 year old on the floor.

Sometimes changes can be messy.  It's nice to have the changing pad so your bed/carpet/whatever doesn't accidentally get peed on or pooped on.

Especially in your case, you aren't even debating the extra expense of a changing table.  Just a pad to put on the dresser.  That's really not extravagant and I think you'll be glad you did it. 

• Options
    I used ours all the time when DD was little, but not so much once she got older. I'd say I used it for at least 6-8 months regularly.
  • Options
    I purchased one to put on the dresser, it was something like $25 at Target...not a huge expense.  I think it will be most useful when you first get home, I can't see myself climbing down on the floor while recovering from delivery or a c-section.  Plus keeping any pee/poop off the couch, bed, or floors is easier as well with a changing pad you just throw the cover in the wash. 
  • Options
    imageMommaErica:

I'm certain you could get by with out it, I'm just not sure why you'd want to.  It's a nice thing to have.  An elevated surface to change the baby on was nice when he was a new born, it's amazingly nice now because he's at a convenient height to get him dressed or get him into his pajamas and, being on top of a table, he can't run away half way through the project.  Good luck with your 2 year old on the floor.

Sometimes changes can be messy.  It's nice to have the changing pad so your bed/carpet/whatever doesn't accidentally get peed on or pooped on.

Especially in your case, you aren't even debating the extra expense of a changing table.  Just a pad to put on the dresser.  That's really not extravagant and I think you'll be glad you did it. 

I agree with all of this!

• Options
    It's not at all necessary just something that's nice to have. You can change them pretty much anywhere: Floor, bed, couch, table, etc and if your worried about messes just put a blanket down and then if anything gets on it, wash it.
  • Options

I used the pad and changing table all the time. We have a ranch house so maybe I would have used it less if his room was upstairs. I love having all of the diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream etc right there in one spot. As far as the pad goes, mine has a cover so its easy to just throw in the wash when it would get dirty, and believe me, it got washed a lot.

DS finally got potty trained last month at 3.5 years old. I wasn't using it any more for when he just peed, but I used it til the end for poopy diapers. I did not want poop getting on the floor or anywhere else and it was more convenient to just go to the table than to find a blanket or towel to use.

imageimage
  • Options

We had one for DD and never used it...ever.  We finally gave it to daycare because hers was ripped.

We had a waterproof pad and a felted, thick cotton pad (s) that we used.  In the beginning, we changed her on our bed or the couch.  Never once did we have pee or poop on either.  After she started rolling, we changed her on the floor.  It was nice to not have to worry about her rolling off anything and, yes, we went through a stage where she tried to roll away but it was short lived. 

Its a waste of money in my book.

• Options
    We used a changing pad on DD's dresser until she was about one? And after that point we just changed her 'wherever'. I am honestly surprised how long we used it. And, lol at the PP that said "good luck with your 2 year old on the floor" - we have never had a problem with DD, nor did I have issue with any of the 4 kids I used to nanny for. After a certain age, I found the floor much easier then a designated changing location. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
  • Options
    Granted, I'm not a mom yet but I think it will be necessary as we plan to cloth diaper and we want to have a little cloth diaper station set up. I think using a changing pad will only encourage us to use the cloth diaper station we set up and help keep us organized. We'll see how it goes though ;)
  • Options
    I bought one thinking we probably wouldn't use it.  We use it all.the.time.  In fact, I'm going to get a second one for the main floor also in addition to the one in the nursery.  It's just very convenient.
  • Options
    We use ours all the time.  We have ours on the dresser, never had a changing table.  I didn't want diapers and wipes laying out all over the house, so we only change her in her room on the dresser.  I also can't dress her or change her on the floor.  I'm too big and uncomfortable to get up and down from the floor and she is a little monster and flips around and tries to run away.  For us it is absolutely necessary.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    i don't find them necessary. however, i did register for one and if i get it- cool. if not- no biggie. my thoughts were the same as you: i'd just put it on top of the dresser. i *think* i'd typically change her around the house but think that doing so in her room with her clothes/diapers maybe be helpful too. like PP said, esp in the middle of the night when she's in her crib.
  • Options
    imageMommaErica:

All of this! Plus my DS is 19 months old, we still use it every day, multiple times a day.

• Options
    We used it for every change when DS was little.  Now we use it mostly for poopy diapers.  For the others we use the floor, but it usually involves chasing him around after he escapes, which I would really rather avoid doing when there's a poopy butt involved

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used the heck out of mine with both boys.  I like having one specific place for pee and poop to land!!!
  • Options
    We use ours all the time, still. The diapers are kept with the changing pad, so we have to go to that location anyway, and why not just change his diaper on an elevated surface? It's certainly less painful on my back that way. And it's such an inexpensive item (relatively) why not get one and see how much you use it? I'm actually surprised that so many people think it's a waste!
  • Options
    I hated mine and never used it.  I personally do not like changing the diaper from the side.  I would rather sit with my legs in a V with the baby laying between my legs.  I am just more comfortable that way.  I usually sat on the couch or laid a blanket on the floor and changed DD that way.  Actually, we still have the unused diaper changing pad with minky cover, and my DD likes to lay on it when she is watching a movie, etc...like her own comfy little bed.  Embarrassed
  • Options
    I know a lot of people that just change them on the floor, but I personally like the pad.  We have one on the dresser and all of the diapers, wipes, ointments, etc are right there along with the diaper champ.  Much more convenient in my opinion.  You'd have to go hunt down all of the supplies or carry a diaper caddy with you 24/7 otherwise.
    Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"